Head cover after surgery safe?

Hi,

I am planning to undergo a surgery in the next few weeks, I would like to know the following:

1. Is it safe to wear a cap / other head cover after surgery?

2. If Yes, then is there a period (post-op) after which wearing a head cover is advisable?

3. What is the best way to cover your head after surgery?

regard,

Vaibhav.

I wore a snapback baseball cap. As long as the hat doesn't touch the recipient site you will be fine. You will just need to make sure it is overly large or adjustable to account for swelling and the sutures. I brought the hat into the clinic before I flew home so they could make sure the hat was suitable.

Hasson/Wong provided me with a very loose fitting tall top snap-back baseball cap that I could wear immediately. I would think many clinics do this for their patients, but you may have to ask for it. Before your surgery you should call and ask your clinic. I wore the very loose ballcap they gave me for about a week or two and then converted over to my own better looking cap...but kept my snap back hat on a loose setting. As long as you keep it loose and don't disturb the grafts you should be fine.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Hasson/Wong provided me with a very loose fitting tall top snap-back baseball cap that I could wear immediately. I would think many clinics do this for their patients, but you may have to ask for it. Before your surgery you should call and ask your clinic. I wore the very loose ballcap they gave me for about a week or two and then converted over to my own better looking cap...but kept my snap back hat on a loose setting. As long as you keep it loose and don't disturb the grafts you should be fine.

This. I also got mine through H&W and received the same black loose fitting hat. I was told after 5 days (I believe) that I could go back to wearing my normal hat again. I was also informed to wear my hat if I was going to be in the sun at all until the 6 month mark. Hope this helps,

Wearing a baseball cap is fine if all your grafts are on top, but if you have a lot of temporal work done like i did, i would advise against it. Personally I would not even remotely jeopardize hurting the new grafts with the money that is invested in a transplant. Just plan on some down time, especially if you are shaving your head. I would rather look " strange" for a short period of time than risk the grafts. I just got done looking "somewhat" weird for the last 30 days! Why chance it?

Guest Kenneth Siporin

It is completely safe to wear hats after hair transplantation surgery, provide you follow some very simple precautions.

First of all, you should not wear tight ski- type caps or beanies. Very tight knit caps can stick to the scalp and grafts, and possible pull some grafts out when you remove it.

Loose fitting baseball type caps or similar hats are completely safe to wear, as long as you are careful putting it on, and taking it off.

Bandanas and surgeons caps are also very safe to wear. In my practice we often send the patients home, the day of surgery with either a bandana, a surgeons cap, or loose fitting type baseball cap.

A frequent question I get after hair transplants, is when can I wear a motorcycle helmet or construction hard hat.

There is no absolute correct answer to these hats, but I feel more comfortable if a patient waits a full week before placing a tight fitting construction hat or motorcyclye helmet.

In any event, common sense usually prevails. If it is absolutely necessary to wear one of these hats before one week, because of work or transportation issues, this should be clearly discussed prior to your surgery, and the patient and doctor should communicate clearly, how and when it is safe to use these types of head coverings.

If there is no pressure and it is loose fitting, they can be used almost immediately.

I hope this answers your questions.:)