25 years old hair transplant

hello my name is john, im getting a ht with dr feller in a month or so, im very worried about what will happen in the future because im sure i will be at least a norwood 6 as my grandfather was, any way the doc told me i have a bad donor area and have about 4000 grafts i can use, spaced out over 2 surgeries, im afraid that i will run out of grafts and my hair will look patchy in the future, im new and will try and post some pics but im not sure if i know how ,,,can anyone see this pic?Photo%20on%202013-01-15%20at%2001.48%20%232.jpg

Edited by tacolinowest

A couple of thoughts:

• Do you look ok with the buzzed look? There's no going back if you have a strip scar.
  • Are you on the meds?

Without the meds I'd say don't do it, not at your age.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

im not on anything at the moment but i would start,, but propecia has alot of bad side effects and it seems that a large amount of people that take it get the side effects, but i would start no prob, what norwood would you consider me to be at the moment

im not on anything at the moment but i would start,, but propecia has alot of bad side effects and it seems that a large amount of people that take it get the side effects, but i would start no prob, what norwood would you consider me to be at the moment

Ask to postpone your HT. I'm sure Dr Feller will allow this.

Not everyone gets side effects. I tried for 2 months on Propecia but it didn't work for me. I was one of the unlucky ones. Once I stopped I was back to normal within 7 days. If you can use it for 6 months without any problems then than might be the time to re consider the HT.

You should also consider Regaine/Rogaine Foam as a way of protecting what you've got. Some people are lucky and get some great regrowth when using it in combination with Propecia.

Not sure on the Norwood number but NW4 or 5 could creep up very soon.

It's not really about what the doc thinks is good or bad, it's what you think . For example, if a 50 year old man, Norwood 6, came to him with 2000 grafts left and asked for them to be spread evenly across his entire head, then that would be absolutely fine if the outcome was going to satisfy the patient.

As the doc has said, you only have a couple of shots at a HT: 4000 grafts over 2 surgeries. Doing just 1 means you lose the ability to buzz your hair very short.

If you're a good responder to the meds you could opt to have 1 procedure now. Maybe get 10-15 years with good hair until the propecia effectiveness wears off, then go in for your second procedure.

Without the meds you will probably have to go back for 'round 2' in just a couple of years, and with the hairline placement fixed you may not be able to do anything about the crown. (which may be entirely acceptable to you.)

A whole different way of thinking could be to delay a HT for 10 years, then come back and use all the grafts on a conservative hairline which covers more of the crown.

I think what I'm trying to say is that you need a long term game plan.

mat i looked at your pics and i see similarities between my hairline and yours,, even tho you are 10 years older than me,, why haven't you done a ht yet?

A few reasons really.

I had really thick hair back in 2003 (at 25) but over the following 4/5 years it really deteriorated. I think 2009 was the time it really started to bother me.

I didn't really know much about HTs until I became curious a couple of years ago. Ever since, I've been weighing up the pros and cons. I'm a naturally cautious so I want to know the ins and outs of everything before making a final decision.

The last thing I want to do is get a bad HT and have to chase it for the rest of my life!

I'm pretty close to going ahead with it and in the process of booking a few consults in the US with a view to getting it done in the next 12 months.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably going to have quite a thin crown in 10 years time, but with a conservative but solid hairline up front I think it will look ok for a 45 year old...

as long as you have a hairline and some hair in the middle,, even with a bald crown you wont be labeled as bald,, i no dr feller will do a great job im jus scarred to death that this will be a mistake in the futre,, like i said i wouldent mind a hairline and some middle hair and a bald crown,, if feller tomd me that this is possible i would be very happy,, sure wish some other people would chime in here, maybe some people who have had surgery with dr feller? someone who has had a ht? any help would be great

as long as you have a hairline and some hair in the middle,, even with a bald crown you wont be labeled as bald,, i no dr feller will do a great job im jus scarred to death that this will be a mistake in the futre,, like i said i wouldent mind a hairline and some middle hair and a bald crown,, if feller tomd me that this is possible i would be very happy,, sure wish some other people would chime in here, maybe some people who have had surgery with dr feller? someone who has had a ht? any help would be great

Yeah, that's what I think. The lack of hairline bothers me a lot. I have great donor density and thick hair which is a bonus.

In a perverse sort of way, it is good that my hairline is now high because if i had a lot of hair in a low position I'd have to rebuild from a lower starting point using up valuable grafts. I've been quoted as needing 2500-3500.

Be patient. There are a lot of great posters here from the US but they are probably still at work. It may take a day or two to get a few more replies.

That's one fact.... Losing a hairline is far more worse than having a bald spot at crown....

Hairline frames your face... 4000 grafts would create an acceptable density hairline if you don't waste it on crown....