Lack of protein = hair loss?

Says in a magazine I'm reading:

"One common reason for hair loss is iron deficiency or too little protein. To top up your iron levels and get you pumping like Popeye, try iron supplement Spatone Apple. Unlike many supplements for iron it's not like chewing rubber. In fact it's got a nice apple flavour and added vitamin C so it's bound to be healthy for you"

It's in Loaded magazine on a grooming page, that also has some awful advertising of AHS lasers with Shane Warne.

It looks like a sales pitch for the Spatone Apple, as it has a pic of the product and a price. The fact AHS are on the page also makes it lack credibility in my eyes.

But what do you think? Is there a link between a low protein diet and hair loss?

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Healthy males who eat a decent diet do not need iron supplements unless they have some sort of medical problem, that's why top brands of multi-vitamins for men such as GNC's Mega-Men and others have zero iron added. Too much iron is very unhealthy for men. Buyer beware.

An iron supplement is different than a protein supplement.

• 2 weeks later...

Google 'Vegan and hairloss' and you get a ton of really worried vegans -new converts. A lot of replies suggests lack of zinc, lack of this or that....

Lack of protein as well as the opposite, a surge in proteins via supplements .. I think that many people eat drastically different ratios of carbs/proteins/fats in their daily diet and rapid changes to the mix may also stir up our imaginations about this stuff.

Again Propecia might entirely change it too.

I think it is important to note these are "exceptions" to correlate to hairloss. Most of the people on this site suffer from simple MPB . It is completely normal to think several different factors are causing your hairloss ( shampoos, hats, diet, stress). I'm sure the homeless people on the street do not eat a balanced diet yet many have a full head of hair ( along with the people seen on late TV who are starving).

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Yes, there are always exceptions but unfortunately for most of the people on this site , it is simple male pattern baldness.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi TommyLucchese,

As mentioned prior, there are numerous factors that can contribute to hair loss. For those who are concerned about their hair, maintaining a healthy diet is something that should not be overlooked. However, controlling your stress levels can also play a major role. In today's world, stress is often unavoidable, but can be reduced. Generally, speaking it is important to note that alopecia related to stress and not minaturization from the effects of DHT is not normally treated by a hair transplant. Of course, living a balanced lifestyle is the best way to remain healthy on both the inside and outside.

Edited by michaeljames

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hello Guys i think that Hair is made of protein. If your body is conserving protein because it is not getting enough from your diet, that can slow hair regrowth and even lead to hair thinning.If your diet is low in protein, then thinning hair are just one problem. Your hair thinning can be a precursor to digestive problems, muscle loss and problematic skin conditions.Thanks a lot!!

For more informations Click here

Edited by lomew