Seems like I had a REALLY lucky escape

TommyLucchese

I started receding at 16, by 20 it was getting quite obvious. I had been on 2% minoxidil and then 4% and it did seem to help for a while but by February 2010 it got bad and my attempts to hide it were rather futile.

There was an advert in the national newspaper about hair transplants, the wonders of a new method called FUE which can give bald people "the hairline they've been praying for".

It was a surgeon called Dr. Theo Vernikos.

My parents spoke to him on the phone and we arranged for me to travel half way up the country for a consultation. I had been on hair loss forums for years but had not really been able to differentiate between sites like this and the others, I never posted or seemed to learn much. Some how I browsed across Belgravia and I learned about propecia and the stronger minoxidil. Me and my parents decided we should see Belgravia because what use is a transplant if the rest of my hair falls out? We told Dr. Vernikos this and he said that it would be a good idea to visit Belgravia and try their treaments. I went to Belgravia and got on the meds with a lot of success and eventually found and understood this place and then found Spex and Dr. Feller.

I have just found that article from the paper and so have researched the doctor. It seems he was the Norton doctor, referred to on another site as "the Norton butcher". I actually feel almost a little shaken up........what if I hadn't found the Belgravia site and about propecia and better minoxidil. What if I hadn't found this place either to help differentiate between clinics?

I could very easily have found this forum too late and been one of many here in the UK (and worldwide) who got messed up. I'm very thankful to you all and very relieved I canceled that consultation.

I'm not sure what the point of this post is but I felt like sharing for some reason.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Hello Tommy,

I appreciate such a thorough and thoughtful post. FUE is a form of FUT, follicular unit transplant. There are varying reasons why a patient may want to have an FUE over Strip Method hair transplant. Remember they are both forms of FUT; the harvesting of donor hair differs greatly. You can learn about this easily in this forum and on many of the doctors websites who are recommended on this forum. ISHRS which is the most distinguished body of hair restoration surgeons in this years annual meeting has convened a special committee around the science, development and the improvement of FUE. You can read about it HERE.

Regarding clinics I can only share with you this. HTN has fulfilled its vision and mission to be a consumer based forum with participation from exceptions surgeons from around the world. So here you can read about them extensively. View there work in image postings of patients. Take your time look at different surgeons and also inform yourself by reading up on the advancements is HT. When comfortable book with the doctor who appeals to you at all levels. Don't be discouraged lots of support in this network from those of us who have been where you are right now. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

• 2 weeks later...