does minoxidil cause seborrheic dermatitis

Gladiator

i have been using minoxidil 5% solution from past 4 weeks and i have observed that dandruff has been increasing by a lot and i have found a lot of yellow flakes on my scalp...is this because of my minoxidil solution? will this eventually decrease after few weeks and i have been suffering from what i believe seborrheic dermatitis from past 2 days ...is this because of minoxidil plzzz give comments

Gladiator,

Unfortunately, I have heard cases of minoxidil (Rogaine) aggravating and exacerbating pre-existing cases of Seborrheic dermatitis.

As you're probably aware, Seborrheic dermatitis is an inflammatory skin/scalp condition, where an overproduction of sebum (a waxy, oily coating produced by skin glands) and an inappropriate inflammatory response result in a dandruff-like flaking from the scalp.

Altogether, there are two products in minoxidil solutions that may make the Seborrheic dermatitis worse: alcohol and/or propylene glycol. Although it may be tempting for minoxidil users with Seborrheic dermatitis to stop the medication altogether, it is still a proven preventive hair loss therapy and stopping may be detrimental to hair regrowth.

Because of this, a better alternative may be available: utilizing minoxidil/Rogaine foam or switching from the liquid minoxidil to the foam product. Not only does the minoxidil foam allegedly contain less alcohol than the liquid minoxidil, but it also does not contain propylene glycol. By utilizing this version of the minoxidil product, hair loss sufferers can reap the benefits of the medication without worsening cases of Seborrheic dermatitis.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.