Alternative to fin?

reverse

I have been aggressively diffusing, the whole top of my head. It is now really getting to the point that it bothers me. It's killing my self-confidence and all I try and do is hide it. So maybe I am obsessing but it's just the way it is. I'd rather do something about it than keep taking pictures of the top of my head and comparing and observing people's hair everywhere I go. But it sucks to realize 9/10 people, even twice my age have SO MUCH more density.

I was taking 1mg fin on and off (mostly on) for about 2 years. It was really helping my hair but I had sides like a lot of people. I know that's always debated, but i'm not looking to get into that here. So, I stopped taking it. That's another story.. Now just Minox foam twice day, most days.

Anyway what I would truly just freaking love to know more than anything is if there are alternative products that work, just locally on my scalp. I know, it's probably a common question but everything I have read through on the forums doesn't really point to a clear answer, so i'm asking based on my understanding:

Fin

Works because Inhibits 5ar2 enzyme that converts T to DHT. That's great for my hair follicles but doesn't DHT play a major role in what it means to be a male? Suppressing it drastically doesn't seem like a good idea. Anyway fin does that and that means that it helps to prevent the miniaturization process and so forth. If i'm getting this wrong then let me know.

So, I want to prevent DHT from binding to AR at my follice, not reduce it's existence in my overall body.

Do any of these products:

RU, CB, ASC, Equol, BIM, AHKl, the new Loreal Stuff, etc..

...offer an alternative? My understanding is that those products are Anti-Androgens and rather than inhibiting 5ar2 creating DHT, they rather block, or compete with DHT from binding to AR. Therefore, DHT would still be present in my system, as it is intended to be.

Result would be the same as fin? What's the difference if there is less DHT in my scalp or less binding to AR's at the hair follicle in regard to hair loss?

So, if I am desperate, which I clearly am, could I get benefit from these products without the risk of sides? Are there other diffusers that have had success with them (without fin)? Or, will there be some adverse systemic effect throughout my body? Do people get sides from these topicals? I just think of it as I am wearing a nicotine patch on my arm right now, and that is clearly a systemic effect.

I just wanted to get some feedback if there have been those that have had results, without sides.. Seems like such a simple question, I have no idea how I just wrote 5 paragraphs to ask it. But, remember it's pretty aggressive diffuse thinning.

Thanks guys. There's a lot to learn to be on level with all you guys. Coming in at square one is intimidating. I have a full-time job, trying to keep a family together, a 1 year old child, significant other who works the opposite shift as me; it's really hard to find the time to sit down -uninterrupted-. Much less actually absorb what I'm reading without going on information overload.

Hey thanks!

Only thing is, I am under the impression that Saw Palmetto works roughly in the same manner as fin - by inhibiting 5ar1 enzyme thereby reducing T->DHT.

Being as how DHT plays such a major role in sexual health, why would it be any different (side effect wise) from fin. Some people also seem to report sexual side effects from Saw Palmetto correct?

What about RU, RUM, CB, PSI or whatever all these people are talking about? As they are topicals (to the best of my knowledge), is there less risk of side effects? Or does it absorb systemically into your bloodstream and body and still have side potentials?

I'm so freaking confused by all of this. I was determined to do all I could about halting or regrowing my hair loss and researching it. now my head feels like it's going to explode with all these other treatments people are mixing themselves and then everyone arguing about the results... But, some very educated talking people have faith in them

Hi Reverse,

I understand your frustration completely. As I mentioned today in another forum post, an individual has to make a decision if they think the side effects of a medication out weighs its benefits. So you are commended on being proactive on your personal health decisions. Since there are only two approved medication whose efficacy is substantiated for reducing hair loss and promoting hair growth your options are limited here. Natural methods only have anecdotal reports positive and negative and I have yet to fine bona fide research. That being said it probably cannot hurt for you to research and give a natural remedy a go since some people do report success. The only other option is HT. However looking at you pic and the fact you classified you hair loss as diffused I think it would be prudent to get the proper medical evaluation and make sure the root cause is androgenic and not some other medical issue. All the Best, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

The side effects seem to be quite rare, I'd say it's worth giving it a go - if you get the sides then you can stop.

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Reverse,

Just though I's follow up and see how you are making out with your hair restoration journey. Did you begin a medical protocol or opt for a natural remedy. Did you seek a medical consult. On this forum we are committed to really advise one another. A status update would be great. Hope all is working out for the best, Michael.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum