Ferudini and Devroye

olean

Hello All -

I had an HT with a recommended doctor on this site 13 months ago. I seem to be one of the few people whose hair actually looks worse than pre-op! I have been given a whole range of excuses (existing hair fell out, propecia doesn't work for me etc - this despite me being on propecia for 5 years with little loss). I have finally accepted I made an error, however I do want to make sure other users on this site don't make the same mistake with this doctor. How should I communicate this to the management of this site? I'd prefer not to do this in 'public'.

I currently find myself in a tough situation. I can't cut my hair short because of the linear scar (despite it being a tryphotic procedure, there is a lot of hair clumping around the scar so I can't cut it less than grade 4 - the scar itself isn't too bad but the hair clumping is) - and I can't keep my hair too long because it's so sparse on the crown and vertex.

So my primary concern now is to fix the linear scar so I can just cut my hair short again - given my first experience, I don't think I'll have another HT. I contacted a few doctors in Europe (where I am based) - and I now have a shortlist of two - Dr Feriduni and Dr Devroye, both based in Belgium. Through virtual consultations (i.e photos) both suggested I revise the scar (non-tryphotic) then wait approx. 6 months and then potentially fill it in using FUE. I have a couple of questions:

- Given my first experience, I'm now very nervous that I choose the right doctor. I'm hoping this will be my last procedure! Are these two doctors excellent choices? Any feedback would be appreciated (note, I had contacted Dr Farjo but didn't feel his credentials were as strong as Dr. Feriduni nor Dr Devroye).

- Any thoughts on who I should choose between the two for the scar repair and FUE into scar?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Olean

Olean

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please send me a private message so we can discuss the situation?

Additionally, both Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Devroye are excellent, and I think you're in very safe hands with either doctor.

Look forward to hearing from you.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I would definitely choose Dr. Feriduni for many reasons. He has more posted results online, recommended in the IAHRS, uses manual FUE instead of motorized, better price, has great experience in scar revisions and many others.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Hi

I have been to both for hairline work; both exceptional surgeons and nice guys too. Dr Devroye is less active on the forums but this does not detract from his excellent work. Both are very unassuming and tend to get on with doing top work, rather than shouting it from the rooftops.

Goodluck.

Hi Olean,

Would you consider posting some photos of your work and scar area? I have been considering strip method but I want to get all sides of the story before I do it. Many people still consider strip method to be better than FUE for a number of reasons, but there still is that "what if?" factor.

Thanks,

Magnum

Hi Magnum,

Personally I wouldn't consider the strip method - whatever people say the scar will always be there and it really hinders your ability to cut your hair short, which is something I like to do.

If I were you stick to FUE or don't do anything at all! If I could go back, I'd leave my hair alone and just go bald naturally :)

Thanks

Olean

Hi Magnum,

Personally I wouldn't consider the strip method - whatever people say the scar will always be there and it really hinders your ability to cut your hair short, which is something I like to do.

If I were you stick to FUE or don't do anything at all! If I could go back, I'd leave my hair alone and just go bald naturally :)

Thanks

Olean

Really? Alot of people say that. Can you elaborate on it? So sorry to hear that things didn't work out for you, that is really heartbreaking :(

Olean, so you don't think that some of the big transformations that are routinely performed by excellent strip surgeons are not worthy and they should have just shaved their head bald?:rolleyes:

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

chrisdav, I think he is just talking from is experience regarding strip surgery. It is obvious he has had a hard time after the procedure and his results were sadly less than optimal. Surgery is a gamble. No doctor can guarantee you a 1mm thin scar or great yield. Olean is just passing on his experience on the matter. If he had a good result, he would be more encouraging of the practice.

I could be wrong on the matter though.

Hi

Re your question to me; when I was in Brussels at Dr Devroye's place, a guy came in whilst I was in the chair, who had surgery the previous day. He had a 2000 graft FUE to repair a previous strip surgery and it looked excellent. On me, he placed 1000 single hair grafts to soften the hairline and temples - he placed them himself and the attention to detail was amazing.

Both excellent surgeons, you won't go wrong.

Hi Chrisdav, not saying that at all...I agree for some people it's very transformational. However, if, like me, you looked fairly good with very short / shaven hair I wouldn't recommend it. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't regret my decision. The risks are too big plus who wants to spend the rest of their lives on meds...whatever people say Propecia can't be healthy long term (even though I have been on it for 6 years). I'm just looking forward to repairing my scar, getting off the meds and letting nature take its course! While the majority of recommended doctors on this site are exceptional there is no guarantee - look what happened to me; my hair literally looks worse now than prior to a 2,800 graft surgery which was done by one of the recommended doctors. I just want other readers who are considering surgery to consider their options very carefully. There is no going back on a strip surgery!

Olean

Mickey85, thanks, you're right. While a lot of people get great results it is, at the end of the day, a gamble! I wish I had looked through this site in more detail before my decision...

And Beardywierdy thanks again for your input, much appreciated.

Olean,

Did you still want to discuss your situation via private messaging? I think it would be helpful. Send me a private message when you have time.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I agree. Once you are cut, you are CUT. Strip will indeed give you better results but its a life time commitment. You cant just quit the game of HT as you should have multiple surgeries. While FUE is safer as you can quit anytime once budget is finished or donor is depleted. You can just shave it all and still look nice with same framing of the hairline.

If I wasn't cut before, I would never have a strip surgery. Thats my personal opinion for anyone with virgin scalp.

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

I understand where you are coming from Olean. I am sure the two top surgeons you have discussed can help repair you and achieve your goal.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Olean,

How long ago did you get your work done/with who?

I was thinking "FUE" for the last year or so but a high profile/well respected HT person said that after all his FUTs and FUEs if he could do it all again he would just do one big FUT and nothing more, and that FUE probably wont yield very well and still leaves scars.

Would you really have just left it alone? That is the big question....

M.

Hi Magnum, 14 months ago and yes, if I could go back and not do anything, I'd do it in a second. All I'm looking for now is a good scar repair so I can cut my hair very short even if I am bald - so that probably says it all :)

Having said that I unfortunately had a bad experience - there are obviously a lot of people on this forum who have had exceptional results.

Good luck!

Olean

I am currently deep in the research phase at the moment. Dying to know who your first surgeon was. I met with a recommended surgeon from this site this week and am very uncertain.

The thing is, no surgeon can guarantee a 1mm scar or that the scar will not stretch. Some people's skin is naturally taut and WILL stretch once there is tension.

that's what I am starting to discover. Its a worry

If you fear a stretched scar(any sane person would), go FUE as it's the only way of avoiding one 100%. Or don't go through with a procedure at all.

Olean, just to correct your information. I had a 2500 grafts hairline repair with Dr. Rahal last July 2011. I will be having a scar revision and extra hairline repair with some temple points restoration with Dr. Feriduni this coming July 3, 2013. I didn't yet had it. I chose Dr. Feriduni after a long research online as I found him to be the best FUT surgeon in Europe. He is recommended in big places like IAHRS and HTN, plus he has loads of documented results on the internet. Also when it comes to FUE, he practices Manual method in order to achieve highest results although it takes a lot of efforts and time from him.

Mickey85, I agree with you as once the scar is stretched then you are basically F***** up and need to spend a lot of money on revising it then FUE it.

My Hair Treatments: