What Norwood am I and what should I be doing to maintain?

Hi. I've attached pics of my current state. I'm 40 and thinned at my temples when I was in my early 30s and then it seemed to stop. Recently, it seems like it's receding a bit again. At the moment, though I'd like some more at the temples and would maybe get a transplant if I were totally comfortable it, I don't consider it to be too bad. However, I'm worried that it might continue. So, can I get some advice?

1. Should I do anything? It's not bad at the moment. Is it worth the shedding given that it might just stop where it is?

1. Should I use Rogaine? I tried propetia in my early 30's when I started to lose it and think I may have had sexual side effects (though that could have been in my head too) so I'd prefer not to use it.

2. Is this just a mature hairline or is it farther back than one.

3. What Norwood am I? It seems like II to to me.

The biggest thing I'm concerned with concerning transplants is what happens in 10 years or whatever if it keeps receding? Will I have some weird patch of healthy hair and thinning behind it? I'm not concerned about not being able to afford more transplants in the future, but I don't want to start down a road which is going to make my appearance really weird in the future. If I were going to get transplants, I'd consider them now since I'd prefer that no one notice. At my current state, since I have my hair forward a bit, if I had new hair grow in underneath gradually, I don't think it would be noticeable.

Anyway, thanks for any advice.

Edited by markh88

Definately give Rogaine Foam a try and use it regimentally for at least 3 months.

I think you need a hair restoration doc to examine where you're losing hair. If it is all over the top than you may prefer not to get a HT.

If it's limited to the front then a small aestically pleasing proceedure may sort you out for many years.

BTW - it doesn't look too bad for a 40 year old! I wish my hairline was at least as good as yours!

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day