So many results seem extraordinary...can it be true?

thomasc

I am seriously considering a HT but so many people have told me to do the research, investigate, etc. I read somewhere that surgeons post the top 5% of their results and what you see is not necessarily indicative of what you will get. Does anyone have any thought on this? Obviously, a lot has to do with what you start with (I am a norwood 2 or 3 and just looking for hairline restoration). I am amazed by the results but wonder, can it really look that good for most of the paitents?

Yes it can. Dont necessarily focus on results posted by the clinics (even though most good ethical clinics post truthful, representative results) but rather focus on those posted by the patient's themsleves.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

I don't know about other clinics but we don't post the top 5% of our results. I don't even know how that can be quantified really. Regardless, a couple of years ago we set out to do something that no one ever has. We posted a new result in HD video every week and we did so for two solid years. This was extremely difficult to do.

Most of our patients, about 80%, are not from the Vancouver area or even Canada in general so in order to get a patient back in the office for HD video and photos is a rare event. We have local patients coming in for follow up visits of course so these are the main source of these results. Some were patients returning for a 2nd procedure but you get the idea.

Now, when you consider the fact that the majority of patients do not wish to have their photos online, even with their faces blocked out, much less have full HD video shot, then it is even more difficult to find that patient that wants to say "yes" to being online. When I think back about how we did this almost every week for two years straight it boggles my mind but honestly, I'm glad it's over. It was a LOT of work but I can assure you that there is no top 5% requirement in order to be posted online. It has more to do with just walking through the door and saying "yes".

So, yes, as Cant'Decide said, a hair transplant can look as good as you've seen online but it is always a great idea to meet patients in person to see one live.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Simple answer check out the patients own blogs and try meet patients in person.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

during my research i didnt care about the clinics and or their consultants' posts in fact i hardly took any notice of them rather concentrated on results posted by the patients themselves.

I am seriously considering a HT but so many people have told me to do the research, investigate, etc. I read somewhere that surgeons post the top 5% of their results and what you see is not necessarily indicative of what you will get. Does anyone have any thought on this? Obviously, a lot has to do with what you start with (I am a norwood 2 or 3 and just looking for hairline restoration). I am amazed by the results but wonder, can it really look that good for most of the paitents?

Hi Thomas,

I think it's great you decided to move toward HT. Of course one should always research but the fact is that HT has come an amazing long way and modern methods make it virtually undetectable. I advocate for patients and I understand the ultimate concern; "What will my results be?" There are a lot of factors that effect that Thomas. The availability of donor hair you have, the thickness of your hair shafts naturally, the natural density of your hair and at last how you respond to the surgery itself. HTN had done good job at evaluating doctors many of them onsite.

Addressing your concern about the images posted, sure some people only want to post their better results because that's advertising, however I don't think anyone is falsely promising results intentionally. HTN frowns greatly on that and they could lose their status in this network. One of the critical things we do in our offices is to help the patient arrive at their individual realistic expectations. This is best done through a full and thorough microscopic evaluation and examination of the donor area and the patients other medical history.

You can view the portfolios here but also on the doctors business website outside of HTN. I invite you to view Dr. Parsa Mohebi's. I know that part of my job is display the results of patient models that have agreed to it. Some are spectacular and amazing others are modest. I do know as a patient advocate that the common thread is that the patient is satisfied and feels tremendously better about their self image and this is a boon to their confidence and esteem. Let me know how I may assist you in any way. All the Best, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum