How bad is the post surgery ugly duckling phase?

thomasc

The one part that i have the most reservations about is the post surgery appearance. I'm considering 1500-2000 grafts in the hairline/top area. I'm told my head will probably be shaved down on top. My guess is that i'll leave it a little longer in the back to cover the scar. How long before it looks reasonably acceptable and are not being looked at every time you step into public or turn the corner at work. Is it possible that it's red and flakey even after 3-4 weeks?

If you have to shave down, that does make it a bit harder to hide in the first week. After 9-10 days the scabs and redness will pretty much go away so you're very close to normal at that point. You could still have a little bit of pink in the area, but appears like nothing more than a sunburn. The scar would be harder to hide if you shave, as you will need about 3/4-1 inch of hair length of an inch to hide it well. If you can take 2 weeks off and lay low you will do just fine.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The one part that i have the most reservations about is the post surgery appearance. I'm considering 1500-2000 grafts in the hairline/top area. I'm told my head will probably be shaved down on top. My guess is that i'll leave it a little longer in the back to cover the scar. How long before it looks reasonably acceptable and are not being looked at every time you step into public or turn the corner at work. Is it possible that it's red and flakey even after 3-4 weeks?

Hi Thomas,

I understand your concerns.The inflammation and redness should be subsided often at the end of week 1, but a mild pinkish discoloration of the transplanted area may remain. This can be visible for a few weeks comparable to a mild sun burn, especially in patients with lighter skin. So in some instances it may take 3 - 4 weeks but by then the inflammation should be subsided in most patients. Healing is a very individual thing and not something that can be readily predicted for a patient. You are most likely the best judge of how you heal from previous experiences. If an HT will really help your self image, I respectfully suggest the you don't let the short term inconvenience keep you back from the natural, proven and permanent results of hair transplant surgery.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

At about 2 weeks out, it would off been hard to notice that i had anything done at all. Like said previously everyone heals differently and you wont really know til you have had yr op to which category you fall into

Best of luck!

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Tomorrow I will be 7 weeks post op on 2000 hairline grafts.

The native hair that was shaven at the front is growing back but still very very short. I still have some redness because of how fair skinned I am, there is also some sparse new hair too.

Overall I've looked awful but at week 5 I decided to just take my hat off and resume normal life. Yeah, I get some of the classic looks up to my hairline from people but it's okay really. I told my best friends what was going on so I haven't had to stop having a social life, which I'd recommend to anyone!

Overall I'd say the ugly duckling phase hasn't been TOO bad. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could go to sleep and wake up in 8 months, but the last 7 weeks have gone quick. The sooner you decide to do away with the hat the better - I absolutely hated it. Better to go free and embrace it ... it's only temporary :)

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

How bad is the ugly duckling

It's a "beeach", but ya gotta just have thick skin for the few and far between dumb comments you'll hear. Most people are totally understanding, totally move on to something else, and really don't care once they know you had a surgery to improve your looks.

But less than 10 minutes ago a guy walks in to my office breakroom that had not seen me in a few weeks and starts staring at me....of course I know full well what has caught his attention. He has this puzzled, staring look. He has always seen me with my balding look hair and now he sees me shaved down in the full blown ugly duckling phase. So to him I suddenly look balder than ever, wearing no camo. He is one of the rare "in shock" people....and blurts out "whats up with your head?...you look ugggg"....he almost said ugly and he stopped himself. I calmly explain to him what I had done and I am excited about the future...I say "I'm on my way to having hair dude"! Of course he was cool with it, but I am telling you...ya just gotta be ready for it....stupid comments like that are very rare and just know that you are doing the right thing long term. It's a small price to pay to reach your goal. No pain/No gain. This guy is not one of the mean types....more of an idiot type....but still it raises your blood pressure a bit. Keep your mind on the "finish line" and with each passing day you have one less day in the ugly duckling phase to endure.

btw...in public you get almost no stares, because "the public" does not know you before or after....you are a stranger....so I got almost zero looks even the few days following surgery....most people are oblivious and really dont care because they have never seen you before and will most likely never see you again...you are not on their radar whats-so-ever.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

Judging by the pictures and blogs I've seen on this site and others "the ugly duckling phase" is a real phenomenon. Normally it seems like you will look worse than pre-op from month 1-3 (unless you are one of the lucky few who for some reason heal and grow super fast). After that you should start to look progressively better for the next 12 months.

From your pics it seems like a ht would benefit you. I was diffuse all over and ht's framed my face a little, provided a thin head of hair, and cost me a lot of money/scars.

The ugly duckling phase is different for everyone. I got some time off work which helped. If you have an excellent doctor....you should be in good shape. Shampoo is correct: only those who know your appearance well will be able to notice a change. I think that I kept some distance from my friends/family for the first 2 weeks post op; that helped.