changing from fin to dut

hi guys, i have a question regarding meds. i currently use fin, no problems there, all seems ok and it seems to be holding back further hair loss or at least slowing it down to a mere crawl! What i would like to know is, would changing over to dut have any damaging effect to the work already done by using fin? I dont suffer with any sides with fin but would like to give dut a go to see if any crown/vertex growth could be achieved before anymore surgery.

Would be very grateful for any input. Thanks guys, great forum btw :)

camooshka,

Because dutasteride blocks both Type 1 and II 5-alpha-reductase enzymes as opposed to Propecia, which only blocks type II, I expect the transition from Propecia to Avodart (dutasteride) to be relatively seamless. However, since Propecia does come with the possibility of an initial shedding period, it's possible that you may experience another one in starting dutasteride. Hopefully others who've made the switch will provide their input on this topic as well.

Out of curiousity however, if Propecia seems to be doing the job, is there any particular reason why you want to switch to dutasteride? Understand that because dutasteride is more potent, the risk of potential side effects may also be greater.

Best wishes,

Bill

I totally agree with Bill however my understanding is that finasteride only inhibits Type I, not Type II.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for the reply. Fin appears to be doing ok but would like to try dut to see if i can get any regrowth. Im looking to have more work done with Dr Feriduni to my crown/vertex but if i could get a little growth I could save some grafts for later. Just wanted to see if anyone else had any experience of trying it.

Hi,

I changed over 6 weeks ago from propecia to Dut, its too soon to see any improvents at the moment, however i am in the middle of a big shed. Its funny actually, i never had a shed on propecia but i am going through one at the moment on Dut.

My reasons for the change was whilst i was happy with propecia i kinda wanted to see if i could get more growth as most of the documentation say yr normally at the best you will ever be on meds after 2 yrs, so i wanted to max out this period and see what it would bring :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Bill,

Although I have not used Propecia for many years now (I cut proscar), I remember reading the information in the packaging that is attached to Propecia when it first was approved for sale by the FDA, and then marketed to the public.

It's in the pharmacology section of the product disclosure and it classifies their product (low dose finasteride) as a specific hormone inhibitor of Type I DHT. It could have been Type II and I no longer have the disclosure to look it up.

I imagine the information would also be available at the Propecia website. ;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

And yes, I have also heard of guys going through a shed switching over to dutasteride.

Gillenator