Hello everyone!

First of, thanks alot for this forum.

I just found this site and its really great.

So here is my situation:

26 years old, have had a scalp pigmentation and its kind of good, but i very very much miss having hair and not so exicted about the shaved look.

So here I am researching transplants. The problem is Im a diffuse thinner, all over the top of my head, ive learned that this isnt the best if one wants a transplant.

Any advices is greatly appreciated on how to continue forward.

Btw I live in Sweden but i could travel the world if needed.

Cheers!

Have you used any preventative medications such as finasteride or minoxidil? Show us some photos so we can get an idea of what you're experiencing.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yes i have used both finasteride and minoxidil. Im going to resume finasteride soon, went off it because of the sexual side effects.

Im not sure pictures would do so much good since its shaved. But i will try to grow it out a bit and take some.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

cart2,

Thanks for creating a discussion topic and sharing your photos. Your hair loss pattern actually reminds me of mine when I was your age, which unfortunately, is pretty advanced. Since you do have a lot of natural hair remaining, it's important that you consider remaining on viable non-surgical treatments (as long as you're not experiencing side effects) such as Propecia and Rogaine. It's a shame that Propecia is a problem for you since it's probably the most effective medication in helping men retain their existing hair. At the very least, I suggest using Rogaine foam all over the top of your scalp twice a day. That might be the best chance you have at retaining the remaining hair on the top of your hair.

Regarding hair transplant surgery, depending on your donor hair characteristics and expectations, you may be a candidate. But given your level of hair loss, you are most likely going to need a large quantity of grafts exceeding 5,000 or 6,000 in order to provide you with both good coverage and density. You may require a lesser number depending on whether or not you can retain the existing hair on top of your scalp.

As a point of reference, I ended up losing all of my natural hair on top (even though I still retained some for my first procedure). 4 procedures and 9600 grafts later, I am very satisfied with my results. That said, there are still times I wish my hair was thicker because "true" density for guys like us isn't a possibility unless hair multiplication ever becomes available.

I suggest taking some time and consulting with leading hair transplant surgeons recommended by this community, in particular, those who do larger sessions when appropriate for the patient. To see a list of physicians we recommend, click here.

Best wishes,

Bill

Thank you for your reply!

I have started using propecia, minoxidil foam and ketakenozale schampoo.

Hoping this might keep the hair I have and maybe make it stronger.

But I do believe a hair transplant must be done to add more strong hairs.

• 3 weeks later...

Would it look good to lower hairline and add some density on top with fue/hst, and then go for scalp pigmentation. And then have to buzz it everyday.

How much scarring does fue really leave?

With the amount of hair loss you're experiencing lowering your hairline from where it's at currently is not a good idea. You will need all the donor hair you have to give you a good result in the area you currently need them. FUE leaves a small white dot from the extraction of each graft from the donor area. It will look red for a few weeks, but once it's healed they are hard to detect even with a level 1 on a razor.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

With the amount of hair loss you're experiencing lowering your hairline from where it's at currently is not a good idea. You will need all the donor hair you have to give you a good result in the area you currently need them. FUE leaves a small white dot from the extraction of each graft from the donor area. It will look red for a few weeks, but once it's healed they are hard to detect even with a level 1 on a razor.

If I wet shave, will it be visible? The scarring that is.

I know I cant get full coverage with good density but just filling it up allround+pigmentation might just work.

Not sure what you mean by wet shaving. Is that shaving all the way down to the scalp? If so then you will see some scarring and it will be small white dots. You should only use an electric razor and go no lower than #1 in order to hide it, sometimes a #2 will be required, but with FUE it's usually ok with a #1.

yes I mean shaving with a razor all the way down.

Problem as I see it with short hair you really need good density to make it look good.

Must be easier with long hair to get away with lower density like say after a transplant?