Trying to find a good/great HT Surgeon in the mid-West- very confused!

KGV

I am a 54-year old male with a balding crown and thinning hair on top and front - have only recently (2 to 3 weeks ago) started looking into a HT. Visited Bosley in Kansas City (Dr. Halford - was told I could need 3600 grafts), then found many negatives on the internet on Bosley (and large national HT chains) in general. Went to a local surgeon (Dr. Misko, who started HTs a couple of years back - he thought I would need no more than 1800 grafts) but cannot seem to find much feedback on him; nor did he give me references to call though he said he has done over 100 HTs.

Researching the internet I came across the IAHRS and found Dr. Lawrence Samuels in St. Louis (his office says he does not recommend more than 1800 to 2000 grafts). His credentials seem good and I was leaning towards him; but again cannot find any feedback on him (good or bad).

As I search the internet more I seem to get more confused - this site seems to have a lot of experienced people. Any feedback/recommendations on a HT surgeon in the Nebraska area (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, South Dakota, etc. would be fine as well - possibly Illinois, Colorado, Arizona or Minnesota too) would be truly appreciated. I have figured out that traveling to find the right surgeon may be a good thing.

I have noted people talk about numerous good surgeons - then say that the final choice should be a personal decision. However, it is tough to talk to or analyze the many HT "professionals" - hoping this forum can narrow the choice down to a couple or possibly even 1 for great HT surgeon. Any input would be welcome. Also any feedback on costs associated I should expect to pay ( I have seen this in the $3 to 8/graft range) would be good

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Hi KGV,

If you go to the home page and put your cursor on the "Consult A Physician" box and then click on "Find a Physician" from the drop down menu, you can navigate to maps where you can find hair transplant physicians recommended by this site, by state. You can then visit the web sites of the physicians you are interested in and search this site for results of their work posted by them and and their patients, reviews, etc. Some will even give you a preliminary evaluation via virtual consultation. There are a number of excellent physicians recommended by this site in the states you mentioned. Many here will advise you, however, that locale should not be your primary concern when choosing a hair transplant surgeon. Rather, you should choose the very best surgeon you can wherever they might be, whose work is consistently of a quality that appeals to you and impresses you, and who is able to deliver excellent hair restorations for patients similar to you in terms of hair loss pattern and hair characteristics, and who you feel comfortable trusting your restoration to after meeting the surgeon for an in-person consultation. You will also want to consider how many grafts you are told you will need for a satisfactory restoration, whether the physician would perform the restoration in one session or in multiple sessions, and whether the physician would perform the restoration via FUE or FUT -- all of which are factors to consider.

Good luck!

K,

I highly recommend researching some of our recommended physicians in Illinois.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

PupDaddy or Blake, can you list by priority the top 3 to 5 HT surgeons you would recommend, not paying attention to location/distance (as it seems location should not be important)? Thanks!

I just had surgery three weeks ago today at Hasson/Wong,

but here is my personal top list...and they all seem like great doctors.

#1. Drs. Hasson & Wong

#2. Dr. Rahal

#3. Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Arocha, Dr. Feller, Dr. Konior, Dr. Lindsey, Dr. Charles

KBV....have you watched the following interviews?

Interviews with our recommended hair transplant physicians

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• 6 months later...