Just Starting the Process - nervous...

I started losing my hair when I was 25. I am 43 now and I have used minoxidil for the past 17 years. I also started using propecia 5 years ago and have stuck with them faithfully. I think both meds have helped me maintain what I have but 17 years is a long time and I guess that my hairline has receded just under a centimeter. I don’t ever expect to get my early 20s hairline back but I would like to reinforce what I have and make sure that it doesn’t get worse. I may dye my hair as well because it’s really starting to turn greyish-white.

I live in Massachusetts and have considered speaking with the following Doctors: Dr. Leonard (RI) and Drs. Bernstein and Feller (both in NY). My questions are as follows:

1. Is reinforcing what I have a good strategy? Or, does it look silly in a few years when it recedes further with a thick line (the transplants) in the very front. I understand I will have to go back sometime for more transplants. I think I have a strong donor area, no problems in back but ultimately, can transplants on top and at the hairline be dense enough where it looks natural?

2. I have a good donor area but my hair is very fine. Does this present a problem when trying to have it be dense enough?

3. How natural can it look? Can you tell if you look really closely?

4. I just want to reinforce what I have, maybe a little more. How many grafts would I need?

5. I understand that the doctor makes the holes and techs place the grafts. How important is the skill of the techs? Is there any way to ensure that you get good techs? Seems like they play an important part.

6. Does anyone know of a surgery that went very wrong (in the past 5 years) with Feller, Leonard or Bernstein?

I am pretty nervous about the whole thing.

I think you're overall in good shape when it comes to your hair loss. If you were to do a procedure I think it would be a relatively small one, and perhaps work in front of what you have to give you a nice strong mature hairline. This is something that would be talked about and planned during your consultations. The techs are very important and something that the recommended doctors on this forum take very seriously. Many of them have worked for years with the same doctor and have trained under their supervision and strict guidelines. The naturalness of the procedure is incredible, the doctors here perform undetectable procedures, just search on the site and see these doctor's patients. Just so you know Dr. True also sees patients in Boston, as well as his New York City office with fellow recommended surgeon Dr. Dorin.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Hi Thomasc,

You and I are pretty close in our hair loss/hair type. My advise to you is TAKE YOUR TIME. read as many posts and do as much research as you possibly can. Ive been reading up for the last few years and still learn something new on these forums every day. A HT can really be life changing and you want to be sure you get one that will make you happy. Yes there are reports from people who get bad HT's. These are also important to learn from.

Choosing a TOP doctor is very important. Knowing what you're doing going in is also very important, and then it seems there is the luck of the draw. I know some will disagree with me but there is still an element of risk in getting a HT. Some people walk away with incredible results and others for different reasons do not.

Again take your time. As you research science may catch up and give us something undetectable and easy. I mean we have The Large Hadron Collider, we have rovers on mars, we split the atom...why not a perfect head of hair for everyone..! Its bound to happen.

MAGNUM

Great to see someone who has used minoxidil for so long and kept a significant amount of hair.

You could get some Just for men and see how it looks. With your colour hair I'd go for the Blond / lightest version as they are darker than you think.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Hi Thomasc,

I haven't taken the leap yet. I'll be researching until I'm absolutely sure that my hair loss is worth the risks of surgery.

Right now I'm okay in my life, but it would be good to wear my hair combed back again and be less afraid of wind! ha!

MAGNUM

p.s. Out of the 3 Doc'c you mentioned I would go with Feller!