Arachidonic Acid can regrow hair

omviki

I heard that Arachidonic Acid can regrow hair just like monoxidil. I am so excited to use this product. Anybody has information on this drug please share.

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

Arachidonic Acid is a very common poly-unsaturated fatty acid and an important phospholipid in cell membranes.

In the body, Arachidonic Acid is further broken down, from cell membranes, into prostaglandins and thromboxanes. Prostaglandins play a role in both the inflammatory process and smooth muscle (vascular) dilation and thromboxanes aid in the clotting process.

A variety of common medications, such as steroids and aspirin, block the breakdown of Arachidonic Acid/Arachidonic Acid byproducts and prevent inflammation, vascular dilation, and blood clotting.

Ironically, a recent research study found a correlation between elevated levels of scalp prostaglandins and androgenic alopecia, meaning stopping the breakdown of Arachidonic Acid to prostaglandins in the scalp may be useful in preventing hair loss. However, the study was quite small and should likely be repeated with a more appropriate sample size.

Having said that, adding levels of Arachidonic Acid (the precursor to prostaglandins) seems counterintuitive, and I'm not sure how this would promote hair growth. However, I do see how elevated scalp levels could potentially cause hair loss.

In theory, I see how it could work as a vasodilator like minoxidil (prostaglandins help open vessels and promote healthy blood flow just like minoxidil), but I feel like the connection between Arachidonic Acid/prostaglandins and hair loss may outweigh this potential effect.

Where did you hear about this?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I read a post on this forum last year that arachidonic acid can grow hair but i could not find that posting anymore. Thank you for sharing the information.

I am using minoxidil solution for the vortex but i looking for the solution to grow hair on frontal side of my scalp.

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

As always, I would run this decision by a trusted hair restoration physician before beginning or stopping any regimen. However, because minoxidil has such a proven track record and recent studies indicate a connection between prostaglandins and hair loss, sticking with the proven method seems like a wise choice.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.