3 1/2 weeks post op

I spent 10k on a hair transplant and am having doubts after having it done. Is it normal for all the hair that was transplanted to fall out? I heard shedding is normal, but all of the hair is gone and so soon? Also I use to use a hair thickener concealer with gel and hair spray. Can I use that again? My dr said I shouldnt use hair spray or gel? What about the hair concealer? Please someone help!

Dude, chill. If you research, almost everybody on here who has had a transplant will all say their transplanted hair fell out within the first month. Mine fell out in the first 2-3 weeks. It will grow back but it's gonna be a while. As for concealer I have read conflicting reports. Some say toppik is ok, others have said der match is no good. I would contact your doctor and see what he says. I'm not sure about gel or hair spray...good luck, grow well!

x33xb6a9rx4x,

It's perfectly normal for the transplanted hairs to fall out at this time. Your hair transplant surgeon should have covered this with you.

In the initial weeks and months after surgery it is common to look even balder than before you started due to shedding and shock loss. Though it can be tough, hang in there. Between three and four months post-op you'lll begin to see new hairs sprouting.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Why has your surgeon not provided you with this information when you spoke to them? What aftercare did they provide?

You have spent 10k on your HT, so please call them if you have any concerns, it's the least they can do.

In the meantime, we are here to help.

I wouldn't recommend putting any product whatsoever on your hair for the first month as the skin on the scalp is still sensitive after the HT. It needs to breathe and recover. After the 1 month mark you should be fine. If however, you kept your native hair long throughout the transplant, you can carefully style that hair around the newly transplanted ones.

Bottom line is this... you are in the 'ugly duckling phase (as i am), the best thing you can do is not worry about it, don't worry about how it looks and remain focused on the end results 6-12 months down the line :-)

Where did you have it done if you don't mind me asking? How many grafts? FUT or FUE?

Hope this helps

Rob

2800 FUE, Istanbul

I think the foremost concern for applying concealers post-op is that the scalp is completely healed. Every now and then we read about post-op patients asking when to safely apply minoxidil which is more invasive into the scalp tisse than cosmetics.

From what I have observed, most docs will advise to wait three weeks post-op before re-applying minoxidil.

I used both Dermatch and Toppik as soon as my epidermis (outer scalp layer) compltely healed of all inflamation, scabbing, crusts, etc. It was two weeks post-op for me.

IMHO, you are right on schedule concerning the shedding and shockloss.

Hang in there because the best is yet to come! :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY