5 questions about movement during the op

I get squeamish watching operations, so I haven't looked at any vids to answer these questions. I'm booked with Dr Path in Bangkok in about 3 weeks, getting nervous, and it would be good to put my mind at rest.

1. What position do you lie in? Is it on your back (I imagine not) or front, and do you turn over at any time? How do they get full access to your head?

2. When do you get to the bathroom if you need to?

3. Is there any time you can get up and walk around, eat or drink water? Or are you lying there for the full 9 hours?

4. I saw a pic with a patient's legs being massaged. Does the massage help any? Is it legs or back, or both?

5. Can you really lie still for all that time? What's the biggest problem... boredom, scalpel noise, cramp?

Sunhead,

There is a huge difference between fut and fue. But in either case there are breaks. I haven't had fut so I'm sure someone who has can jump in if Im wrong but you will most likely have a lunch break about half way through as well as a bath room break or two during the day. You will be in various positions also depending on which area is being worked on at a particular time. You will most likely be given a valium as a sedative which makes the time pass quite easily. They will probably have you watching a movie or something to help pass the time. The most uncomfortable part are the injections for the anesthesia but its not too bad.

On a side note, you may want to do a search on here and familiarize yourself with the difference between fue and fut. Its something I think every patient should know before having a particular procedure done.

Edited by Levrais
typo

5700 FUE in 3 procedures with Dr. Bisanga

View my patient website:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1874

The worst parts are the anesthesia shots and the boredom. It's a pretty relaxed day otherwise except for the first hour or so and you can probably get up for the bathroom anytime if you give them a few minutes notice. Probably not a good idea to drink a lot before getting started.

Sunhead,

There is a huge difference between fut and fue. But in either case there are breaks. I haven't had fut so I'm sure someone who has can jump in if Im wrong but you will most likely have a lunch break about half way through as well as a bath room break or two during the day. You will be in various positions also depending on which area is being worked on at a particular time. You will most likely be given a valium as a sedative which makes the time pass quite easily. They will probably have you watching a movie or something to help pass the time. The most uncomfortable part are the injections for the anesthesia but its not too bad.

On a side note, you may want to do a search on here and familiarize yourself with the difference between fue and fut. Its something I think every patient should know before having a particular procedure done.

Thanks, I've done the FUT research before I booked, so no problem there. My asking was for the difference in body postions for two procedures, not the procedures themselves. Hope I clarified that.

Good to hear that it can be a day of relative rest :)

Hi Sunhead, i've recently had FUE in Turkey so can answer some of these for you based on my experience...

1. What position do you lie in? Is it on your back (I imagine not) or front, and do you turn over at any time? How do they get full access to your head?

When taking hairs from the donor area, i was on my side/front, then swap over for the other side. We had a quick break for lunch and toilet and went straight back in where i was on my back at about 30 degrees raised. You should not be on your front when having the grafts transplanted as they could come out!

2. When do you get to the bathroom if you need to?

Whenever you need it, but my recommendation is to go as little as possible. You want the grafts to be back in your head as quickly as possible.

3. Is there any time you can get up and walk around, eat or drink water? Or are you lying there for the full 9 hours?

I was there for pretty much the full time. I managed to go with only having 1 break for some prepared food and water

4. I saw a pic with a patient's legs being massaged. Does the massage help any? Is it legs or back, or both?

Personally, i would just sleep if i were you, you'll be sedated so will be fine. I only stayed awake as i was being filmed and i wanted to see everything that went on so i could provide feedback on here. Most people sleep for some, if not all of it.

5. Can you really lie still for all that time? What's the biggest problem... boredom, scalpel noise, cramp

There is no scalpel noise with FUE as they use a punch, not slicing a chunk out of your scalp. The only noise i can remember is later in the afternoon when they are making the incisions, but by then you are tired, sedated and don't mind it. Biggest problem is knowing that when you have finished, you have a long wait until your hairs start to grow!

Hope this helps

2800 FUE, Istanbul