Graft anchoring into strip scar tissue?

We are all aware of the graft anchoring study by Dr.Rassman and Dr. Bernstein. But it was done into virgin scalp. So by the ninth day the grafts were safe in virgin scalp. But how about in a strip scar. I had 300 fue grafts placed in a bad strip scar. Sleeping is here is the main concern. I slept 17 nights on my stomach and then started sleeping normally on my back.

Is 17 nights enough before pressing the scar on to a pillow?

• 2 weeks later...

That is a good question and probably depends on your specific scar. Really firm hard scars with little vascularity would take longer to allow fibrous tissue (anchoring) ingrowth than nice soft, but wide scars. So ask your doctor.

I had a nice lady who we did a 500 FUE repair into a bad browlift scar a year or 2 ago. She unfortunately pulled a fair number of her grafts out just because her surrounding hair got "stuck" to the FUEs.

So be careful and check with the doctor who did your case.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Dr. Lindsey,

Do you think that vascularity increases in the scar if a limited number of grafts would be put in first? That is, do not dense pack in round one, and then come back in round 2 to finish?

Thanks

I don't think it will increase the vascularity. But if you have limited vascularity due to really tough scar, yes spreading and doing 2 cases might be a better option.

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yes I had 300 grafts june 2011 and then 300 grafts june 2012. The scar was from the middle 10mm and from the sides 5mm. Emotionally toughest time of my life.

I did see initial growth between post op and 1month. Then when I pressed the scar on to pillow most of the hairs shed. If grafts were able to produce new hair, does that mean they were anchored properly?

Dr Lindsey, would you recommend longer than 17 nights sleeping on stomach post op?