To Dr Feriduni (or anyone else who knows anything about low donor density patients) - How are you getting such great results with low donor density?

I'm a long time lurker on here but can't remember ever posting.

I want to ask a question to Dr Feriduni.

How are you getting such great results with low donor density patients?

I've found three of your recent results on here and all the patients had 60-70 fu/cm2 in the donor area.

It's just I had become somewhat dejected as my donor density is only 74 fu/cm2 (although I have coarse hair)

So are you using the same measurements as standard - i.e the average patient having a donor density of 80-90 fu/cm2.

Kudos on the results - but I'm just confused as I've never seen any other surgeons post the donor density calculations of their patients - certainly not from patients with such low density.

You have given me renewed hope. And I hope you can elaborate further on the candidacy of patients with lower donor density (or indeed anyone else who can give me some insight into this area)

I'd also appreciate if the regulars like Bill can add to the issue of low donor density

kind regards

Asa

I'm a long time lurker on here but can't remember ever posting.

I want to ask a question to Dr Feriduni.

How are you getting such great results with low donor density patients?

I've found three of your recent results on here and all the patients had 60-70 fu/cm2 in the donor area.

It's just I had become somewhat dejected as my donor density is only 74 fu/cm2 (although I have coarse hair)

So are you using the same measurements as standard - i.e the average patient having a donor density of 80-90 fu/cm2.

Kudos on the results - but I'm just confused as I've never seen any other surgeons post the donor density calculations of their patients - certainly not from patients with such low density.

You have given me renewed hope. And I hope you can elaborate further on the candidacy of patients with lower donor density (or indeed anyone else who can give me some insight into this area)

I'd also appreciate if the regulars like Bill can add to the issue of low donor density

kind regards

Asa

74 FU/cm2 is a bit under average, but i would not consider this a low donor density. I don't think you should be worried.

Your density with coarse hair will probably have better coverage than someone with a density of 90 FU/cm2 and thin hairs.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

• 2 months later...

I realise Mr Ferudini must be a busy man (I'd rather him concentrate on his patients than the forums....lol)

But I'd still really like to hear his response to my (complimentary) post/question

that I addressed to him a couple of months ago

kind regards

ASA

Asasas,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I think recommended physician Dr. Beehner just made an excellent post on the topic of density and what's required to create an optimal result. You can read his reply to a similar topic on this thread.

It's true that the more follicular units packed per square cm (FU/cm2) will create greater density. However, many hair loss patients can get away with lower density hair transplants and still have phenominal results. Other factors to consider other than the number of FU/cm2 are the number of hairs per square cm (multi-haired follicular units packed together create greater density than single haired follicular units), hair shaft diameter (the thicker the hair, the greater the appearance of hair density), skin to hair contrast ratio (the less contrast, the greater the illusion), and a surgeon's artistry (natural looking and strategic placement, such as shingling, etc). Clearly some of these factors vary from patient to patient.

Therefore, though high density hair transplants with optimal growth are impressive, they're not always necessary to achieve the desired result.

Where higher densities become more meaningful for those who can portray an adequate illusion of density with fewer grafts, is under harsh lighting conditions.

I hope this helps.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Still waiting for a reply from Dr Ferudini after I posted this very complimentary message/question about him in January. One of his reps got back to me by PM in March and apologised for not responding sooner and said he would asap.

I chased him up again but no reply. Dr Ferudini is very much on my list of choice of surgeons but slightly dissapointed at no reply considering his surgery posts on here.icon_confused.gif

And thanks for the info Bill - very very helpful