Want to start finasteride ASAP... need advice

phathair

I have a really bad hairline and recently I've noticed it's creeping even further back into the mid section. Luckily I have quite thick blonde hair anyway so it's been easier to hide than it should have been. However, I know if it gets much further I'll be majorly screwed. I have taken various things along the way and all have been kinda effective in slowing the problem but definitely have not halted it completely.

I think fin would be my best bet at this point. My main problem, like many I guess, is the potential sides. When I was 19 I had a bout of glandular fever and then 6 months later I'd completely overworked myself and think I fucked up my adrenal glands. Had depression for around 2 years following. I fought through all this and doing great, but I still don't have the energy that I had before...it's left me with bad leg fatigue too!

Been to various drs and had bloods, all came back fine & I got fed up of never being able to get a diagnosis. Seems to get worse with stress or certain situations so I'm putting it down to anxiety.

So my question is, do you think I'm at a high risk in the potential sides from fin? I know that none of this has caused my hair loss & it's MPB. Both my grandfathers are bald and have been for as long as I can remember... one's only just removed his toupee lol.

:confused:

Hi

Spex Ive just seen your link on how to take finasteride. My question to you is, do I need to take 1mg tablet everyday for rest of my life or can I take 0.5mg. I just worried the side effects may kick in straight away or few years down the line.

I know what ever your answer is, its your opinion.

Are you taking finasteride? if so how long you been taking them?

Ive got a pack of finasteride made by Actavis..its 5mg. So if I was going to start, than I would need to break the 5mg up into five pieces, than start taking it as you have said on that web link.

I guess I will never know of side effects until I start taking finasteride.

Thanks Spex. Like the sound of the transition method, makes real sense to do it that way. I'm gonna try get in at the Drs this week just to double check. Then will order online. Hope it works then I'll be able to relax a bit!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Spex,

I have been using Finastride 1 mg for the past couple of years now. However starting Nov'11 I have been experiencing hives. Its appears and then I have to take a antihistamine to supress it and then i again get it in 3 days. As reason for hives is very difficult to identify, my doc suggested it could be because of finastride. I initially ignored it but then read it as one of the sideeffects.

Can this is be possible after taking finastride for more than 2 years now. What is an alternative here...

Sandy

Hi Spex,

Can this is be possible after taking finastride for more than 2 years now. What is an alternative here...

Sandy

im sure spex could help you more with that, but as far as i know, sides can hit you any time it could me right away or after couple of years. There is no timeline for sides though.

So if you haven't been taking anything new recently which could be the reason of the hives the most likely it is from propecia.