Have you ever noticed with balding crowns that..

...some guys can pull off the look and not look bad at all while it significantly affects the appearance of others? The obvious reason would be the amount of crown loss plays a factor which it does but I have even noticed many cases where a guy with significant crown loss looks overall better than a guy with half as much loss in the crown. The easy answer is that the guys that look better are simply better looking guys to begin with but crown loss does not impact the face as does the absence of a hairline so I have to believe that this is not the reason.

Has anyone else ever noticed this; Some guys with minor crown loss makes a huge impact on their appearance while others with much more crown loss does not impact their overall look that much?

Edited by Cant decide

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

...some guys can pull off the look and not look bad at all while it significantly affects the appearance of others? The obvious reason would be the amount of crown loss plays a factor which is does but I have even noticed many cases where a guy with significant crown loss looks overall better than a guy with half as much loss in the crown. The easy answer is that the guys that look better are simply better looking guys to begin with but crown loss does not impact the face as does the absence of a hairline so I have to believe that this is not the reason.

Has anyone else ever noticed this; Some guys with minor crown loss makes a huge impact on their appearance while others with much more crown loss does not impact their overall look that much?

It's an excellent question, and as someone with a bald crown, I tend to agree with you (and, of course, think I can pull off the look just fine)

Looking at me straight on, you would think I have no thinning other than some natural hairline recession that is age appropriate (thank you Dr. Umar!) but I really have no problem with the bald crown.

However, my crown is quite large, and it needs to be made smaller in the future. I personally believe that the reason some people pull off the look better than others is the amount of recession in ones hairline.

If you have little recession in the hairline, the crown becomes negligible. However, serious recession will make a bald crown look far worse. Another factor that helps with a bald crown is curly and dense hair, which tends to lessen its overall effect.

I agree. When deep temple recession exists, the crown laterals and the recession in front come closer to meeting eachother and thus it could negatively impact your side profiles.

My Hairloss Web Site -

Procedure #1: 5229 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Oct, 2010

Procedure #2: 2642 Grafts with Dr. Rahal Aug, 2013

7871 Grafts

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=2452

...some guys can pull off the look and not look bad at all while it significantly affects the appearance of others? The obvious reason would be the amount of crown loss plays a factor which it does but I have even noticed many cases where a guy with significant crown loss looks overall better than a guy with half as much loss in the crown. The easy answer is that the guys that look better are simply better looking guys to begin with but crown loss does not impact the face as does the absence of a hairline so I have to believe that this is not the reason.

Hey Mate,

Cool observation. It really comes down to what we inherited. Symmetry of facial features, head shape and skin tone all play a factor into how we look with hair, some hair and no hair. Top HTN hair surgeons like Dr. Mohebi whose patients I advocate for know this and take this into account when styling the hairline. Your point also reminds me of how limited donor hair can effect hair transplant decisions for the surgery. Let's 'literally' face it though most people don't view themselves superior [from top], posterior [from the back.] They see themselves and others view them anterior [from the front] so the hairline design and restoration along with perceived thickness mostly effects how the face is seen. As for symmetry, some folks just pick the right grandparents...eh? A good hairline design can bring about the perception of symmetry. All the Best, Michael

Edited by michaeljames
typo

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

Hey guys, i have a question. WHen there is a clear line between where hair is strong on the sides and the top where lets say, diffuse thinning and recession are prominent. Is it common for this line to recede even though it looks as though it is all strong hair, Im a nw5a, pattern, with progressively more hair toward the back although in heavy sunlight, it would appear that my crown is ever so slightly finer although hair count seems to be optimum. Im asking this because i lost most of my hair in my 20's and then seemingly just the front middle slowly faded down to not much, but im just wondering if my pattern might widen and or if my crown might go. Ive been using rogaine for about 5 years, I have still lost a good bit of hair up top since ive been using it, and im also curious if my crown migth up and just disappear in a few years. NOT TAKING PROPEciA! NOT GOING TO!