1) Consultation with Dr Feller, May 2012

If you want to skip the preamble and just go straight to the details about the consultation, scroll down to the three asterisks. (***)

I am 23 and have been losing hair since I was 16. It got very bad a few years ago but then I found Belgravia in March 2010 and (though very overpriced) their products have really stabilised and regrown so much of my hair. With the right thickening shampoo, a bit of concealer and the right style I look like I haven't lost any hair at all - until the wind blows anyway! My hairline is very much in that M shape and a bit thin at the front, which bothers me so much. Obviously I have had the horrible feelings of depression and not wanting to go out etc but thankfully propecia/minoxidil really helped change all that - now I just want that hairline fixed.

I have been browsing these forums for years but I finally signed up and began actively pursuing finding the right doctor for me in January. The same names kept coming up and, as I'm in the UK, obviously Spex was on my radar very quickly. Ah, Spex. That poor poor man. I believe it is roughly 50 emails we have exchanged over the months! He's been so great in replying quickly and informatively without putting any pressure whatsoever, I can't thank him enough.

Anyway, having researched through several doctors I decided that Dr Feller was right for me. His work and reputation speaks for itself, his location on the east coast of the U.S was ideal for me and it was great having Spex and many other people in the UK contingency posting on here and being available via pm. Spex informed me in February that Dr. Feller was coming to the UK for consultations in May so I booked myself in and waited for the chance to meet the man himself.

Ever been to a concert and been in awe when you saw the name of the band or artist on the big billboard outside the stadium? I have to be honest, that's how I felt when I saw a sign for "Feller Medical" in the London hotel haha!

I walked in and met Spex who was very welcoming. (My eye was straight to his hairline and I couldn't believe how great his hair is, so much better in person than photos too - which is saying something!) Dr Feller came in from lunch and we chatted about hairloss, then I filled in the form with my details - from phone number to what medication I'm on - and then we began to talk about what I wanted. I said I wanted my hairline and maybe some grafts in the crown, to which Dr Feller replied he didn't want to touch my crown due to my age - saying it is best to save grafts for that as I may need them later on for any future procedures if I lose any more hair.

The doctor drew a hairline on in marker which I have not had for about 5 years, though it did dishearten me slightly as I was hoping for a juvenile hairline (very low temples) like I had 7 years ago. Dr. Feller said he would prefer to be conservative due to my age. I was very pleased that he talked me out of the "perfect head of hair" because I didn't want to be promised the world. I'm very aware that nothing is ever guaranteed and that there are limitations with things, particularly as I am young. I also realised that, thinking back to those great photos of me I sometimes get sad about, the conservative hairline Dr Feller drew is actually BETTER than the one I had 5 years ago. So I'm more than happy to go with Dr. Feller's recommendation, which is 2000 grafts. I asked if my head would need to be shaved down and was relieved when the doctor said no (apart from the finer hairs from minoxidil) as my hairline is the area he is working with as there is nothing there. I do wonder if when I get there Dr. Feller will say I do need to have my head shaved, in which case I will be willing of course, though I'd rather not!

Previously I was concerned about laxity, suitable donor hair, hair characteristics and all the other terms I've read on here. Therefore it was really good to meet the doctor in person to find out if I was a suitable candidate first hand, as I had no idea about any of this stuff. For this reason I would recommend to anyone to meet their doctor in person BEFORE committing to any surgery - it's GREAT to have all your questions answered before hand to allow you to make a decision.

Dr. Feller showed me his scar (which was TINY) and Spex (the self proclaimed human model during the consultation) encouraged me to run my hands through his hair and have a good look. His hair is AMAZING! It was really cool to see a scar in real life and a result of Dr. Feller's work in real life too.

On the way out I asked why, if there is such interest in his work here in the UK and Ireland, doesn't he come to perform the surgeries here. Dr Feller explained that if he was the superstar then he would, but he has a big team (upto 9 or 10 technicians per surgery) who are vital to each procedure, so it just is not possible. I thought it was good to hear Dr Feller not wishing to take all the praise himself and for highlighting the importance of his team.

Dr Feller and Spex patiently answered every question I could think of and the consultation lasted 40 minutes. At no point was I given a hard sell or given a date to book by or anything in that nature. Spex even re-iterated several times that I should go and give it serious thought.

I would have had the procedure there and then though if I could. I felt very reassured that I was suitable, that I wasn't being given a hard sell and that Dr Feller was ethical and wouldn't have deemed me a viable candidate if I wasn't. The fact he turned down my request/suggestion for a lower temples and work on the crown conveyed that he isn't trying to get every penny out of his patients. Dr. Feller also said "If you look good, then I look good" - which I thought was great as it showed that he tries his very best to ensure a high quality of results to his patients, as your hair is his reputation - therefore you can trust he will try his very best.

I left feeling very confident and am travelling to New York for my procedure in late July. I know that no surgery is guaranteed, that there are limitations to the procedure and that I can't "look like I did when I was 16", but I'm confident I have chosen a fantastic doctor who can give me some much needed improvement in the hair department. I wasn't going to post until maybe 1-2 years down the line but I always like reading the "before" posts in people's threads - seeing how nervous they were, to then seeing how great they look now. I hope I will be one of these people. I also wanted to give something back to this forum as you have all helped me so much, I feel it is only right that I share my story too. I hope I'll be posting an excellent result in 18 months time.

Big thanks to Spex again for all his help. At no point did he say "go for Dr Feller" but he simply guided me through options and informed me of everything from the procedure itself to advice on medication, he's really been excellent. Thank you Spex. As I said in an email to you, whatever happens with my procedure and result, I am very grateful for all of your help.

Bring on late July!

Edited by TommyLucchese

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Wrote a book for newbies called Beating Hair Loss, available on Amazon

Great post. Enjoyable read and massive plaudits for Spex and Feller. The good guys! Good luck in your upcoming procedure, you are obviously in great hands. I too went to Belgravia for a first port of call and paid their huge prices. I unfortunately didnt reap the rewards that you personally did and the meds didnt help initially. You are well informed and deserve the best! Good luck!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

TommyLucchese,

thanks for sharing such an uplifting and hopeful story. Best of luck on your hair restoraiton jounrey and please keep us all updated on your progress.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thank you very much for the replies :) hope this can give a little bit of help to anyone considering taking their first steps towards a procedure.

Will keep you all informed of my progress!

2,000 grafts FUT Dr. Feller, July 27th 2012. 23 years old at the time. Excellent result. Need crown sorted eventually but concealer works well for now.

Propecia and minoxidil since 2010. Fine for 8 years - bad sides after switching to Aindeem in 2018.

Switched to topical fin/minox combo from Minoxidil Max in October 2020, along with dermarolling 1x a week.

Nice, detailed write up Tommy

I couldn't be happier with my results and keep us posted with your progress.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 7 months later...

Wanted to bump this.

It's now just over 6 months since my procedure and I'm already way better off than I was when I made this thread. I'm excited to see what the next 6 months to a year will bring.

I just re-read this back and I think it gives a good portrayal of how an in person consultation takes place and how great it is. It also made it much less of a big deal when I flew to New York for the surgery. I slept like the baby the night before, since I'd already met Dr. Feller and got all the details I had no concerns.

Unfortunately I still will not share any photos but I think I've conveyed my whole story so far well enough on this forum that you get a good idea anyway :)