Using finasteride only

fiveoneone

Hello

I've always known about this sort of treatment but was worried about the side effects such as low libido but now that my hair loss is slowly starting to become noticeable I think it's time to take a leap of faith.

I'm thinking of just using finasteride only to start off with. I know a lot of people use minoxidil and nizoral as well but I want to avoid it if I can.

What do you guys think? Should I be ok with just finasteride?

Also I'm thinking of buying my finasteride from inhouse pharmacy but there are several variations. Can you guys recommend exactly which one to purchase?

Any advice will be well received as I am new to this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.

Hello

I've always known about this sort of treatment but was worried about the side effects such as low libido but now that my hair loss is slowly starting to become noticeable I think it's time to take a leap of faith.

I'm thinking of just using finasteride only to start off with. I know a lot of people use minoxidil and nizoral as well but I want to avoid it if I can.

What do you guys think? Should I be ok with just finasteride?

Also I'm thinking of buying my finasteride from inhouse pharmacy but there are several variations. Can you guys recommend exactly which one to purchase?

Any advice will be well received as I am new to this sort of thing. Thanks in advance.

In short:

- The best results seen have been a combination of Minoxidil and Finasteride. Minoxidil is good at retaining and regrowing hair, Finasteride at preventing further loss. Effectiveness is generally 60% and 80% of men respectively.

- Finasteride results take 12-18months, Minoxidil generally shorter i.e. 4-6months.

- Minoxidil is less of a hassle than it used to be thanks to the Foam version.

- Finasteride is usually sold (for hairloss) in a 1mg tablet form called Propecia. The most popular generic version from Indian based Pharmacuetical company, Cilpa, is called Finpecia (also 1mg Finasteride).

- To save money, some people buy Proscar tablets. These are used to treat prostate cancer and contain 5mg of Finasteride. People choose to cut them into quarters and take an approximate 1.25mg daily dose.

- The recommended hairloss prevention dose is 1mg per day. However, some peopl vary the dose, e.g. Mon-Wed-Fri only, every other day, 0.5mg instead of 1mg....there are many variations.

I would recommend starting with 0.25mg Finpecia every other day purely based on my own experience. Any side effects and you can stop and will return to normal after a short period.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

just be aware that if you are one of the unlucky ones to have sexual side effects then they really are not worth taking the drug for - personally i would choose minoxidil over propecia as the drug ruined my sex life completely

Ye thats what I'm worried about. Obviously id rather just go bald than have permanent erection difficulties and low libido. Do you know if it goes away after you stop taking it (the finasteride) or is it permanent?

Mikey are you back to normal now? It's such a hard decision to make because the consequence of the side effects is pretty bad.

Does minoxidal have any side effects apart from initial shedding? I read that it can have unwanted effects on the heart (makes it beat faster). Can anyone confirm this?

just be aware that if you are one of the unlucky ones to have sexual side effects then they really are not worth taking the drug for - personally i would choose minoxidil over propecia as the drug ruined my sex life completely

Did it really? And how so

I have been using minioxidil for more than 5 years now and havent noticed any side effects...

fiveoneone...start using minioxidil and then move to finastride...As far as I am aware these are the only 2 proven medicines known to stop hairloss..

• 2 weeks later...

strange how people speak negativly about the sexual side effects, iv had some really positive side effects of fin. too much info i know but i have lasted so much longer and have enjoyed sex alot more than before as i know my body is in control and not like a crazy teenager