When do we start to know more about SMP?

I've been reading this thread and several others, trying to get as much information as possible on SMP. I'm really leaning towards this because I don't want the constant upkeep and issues with concealers and I don't want to spend the 10s of thousands of dollars on multiple hair transplants and deal with the rest. I think everyone has valid questions/concerns. I think I would be ok with a shaved or buzzed hair cut the rest of my life vs the other alternatives. Likewise, I find it less maintenance to buzz your hair every few days then deal with the cover up or lack of density game. I think if you got 3-5 years before you had to have it touched up, I'd be happy and care free for those years....not worrying about it all the time. On the flip side, I am concerned about the hair lines and what is able to be done. Also, some men just wear a buzz cut better than others. I'm curious, has anyone looked into Artistry Concepts? I've read their testimonials and looks at their gallery. It all seems good, any thoughts? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

dpeeze et al.........

I've also been researching SMP, though only for a short time. My main concern is two ear to ear strip scars (donor area) and possibly filling in some of the horseshoe (back of my head), where it constrasts from dense hair to less dense. Just sent an online consult to GLI and I will report their response in case anyone is interested. A lot of the concern seems to focus around the hairline. My hairline is thin, but I have had enough ht's so that it looks passable when using a 7mm guard or less. Just looking to cut my hair with a 3mm and lose the dermatch/gel nightmare my life has become due to the strip scaring.

Any thoughts??

dpeeze et al.........

I've also been researching SMP, though only for a short time. My main concern is two ear to ear strip scars (donor area) and possibly filling in some of the horseshoe (back of my head), where it constrasts from dense hair to less dense. Just sent an online consult to GLI and I will report their response in case anyone is interested. A lot of the concern seems to focus around the hairline. My hairline is thin, but I have had enough ht's so that it looks passable when using a 7mm guard or less. Just looking to cut my hair with a 3mm and lose the dermatch/gel nightmare my life has become due to the strip scaring.

Any thoughts??

Couple of things...

1) The fact that you've had multiple hair transplants (and I'm assuming you've had the work done to your hairline/frontal-third...) is a good thing. As you know, SMP only really works when the individual shaves their head. The more natural stubble you have the better the SMP can blend in and give you a very nice natural look.

2) HT scars cannot ever be 100% disguised, removed or completely masked (outside of longer hair covering it). I've seen some really nice SMP work done on HT scars that really muted the look of the scar, which I'm guessing makes a lot of folks happy, but I've never seen a scar completely "disappear."

3) In regard to hairlines... SMP is no different than HT work in that it's all about the artistry of the practicioner. It's in your best interest to research the different clinics and find someone with a portfolio of work that you're comfortable with. There is a clinic whose work with hairlines seems really good in my eyes. I won't give the name on here because I don't want to be accused of being a schill for their company. Bottomline, you have to be willing to go where the good clinic is. I'm in California, but I'm not in love with any of the hair transplant clinics out here, so I'm willing to fly to Ottawa or Vancouver to get work done when the time comes. It's not even a question in my mind. I think the same would/should go for someone getting SMP work done.

Anyways, those are my two-cents.

Cargo,

It is good when you say that the scar cannot ever be covered up 100%; that is a good dose of reality. My expectation is to reduce the contrast between the strip scar of the hair around it, realizing of course that the scar could still show in certain lighting/situations/etc. At this point I just want to cut my hair stubble-short and be at peace with the back of my head, eg.(tap a nap in the middle of the day, sleep at a hotel without rubbing dermatch all over it, a million other situations).

Cargo,

It is good when you say that the scar cannot ever be covered up 100%; that is a good dose of reality. My expectation is to reduce the contrast between the strip scar of the hair around it, realizing of course that the scar could still show in certain lighting/situations/etc. At this point I just want to cut my hair stubble-short and be at peace with the back of my head, eg.(tap a nap in the middle of the day, sleep at a hotel without rubbing dermatch all over it, a million other situations).

Lol, seriously, I know all about it. Toppik is worth its weight in gold to me, but it's such a hassle. Everytime I have to use it it's like performing a masterpiece before I leave the house.