PRP Investigative Trial: Drs Unger and Wesley

Drs. Unger and Wesley are initiating a thorough investigation on the effect of direct PRP injection on hair caliber and growth. If you are interested in taking part, please read below. The investigation takes place at our 710 Park Avenue office in Manhattan.

Platelet rich plasma (PRP) has received much attention in hair restoration surgery (HRS). While investigators have published studies suggesting the benefit of incorporating autologous PRP into surgical treatment, evidence of its clinical effect from direct injection is limited. Furthermore, as not all PRP concentrates investigated are of the same growth factor (GF) composition or platelet concentration, any clinical benefit has not been attributed to a "known" PRP solution.

Our current clinical study achieves both: matches patients' own molecular profile of the PRP they receive with any focused, well-documented clinical benefit they may experience. Stated differently, we'll know exactly what we're injecting and we'll know exactly what effect (if any) is has.

Although previous investigations have suggested autologous (meaning from your own body) PRP's influence on hair shaft diameter, these studies either involved only a limited number of patients, limited measurement parameters, or were done in vitro. Our office's study sets out to establish a direct correlation between change in hair caliber and density (if any) and patients' platelet concentration and their actual growth factor profile (via an ELISA method performed in association with the Mt. Sinai Medical Center).

Despite encouraging data suggesting its benefit on hair, solid scientifically-valid data confirming PRP's efficacy in HRS is sparse. Therefore, patients taking part in our investigation will only be charged the material cost of performing the PRP procedure. In addition to an office visit approximately 2 weeks prior to the procedure for hair measurements, patients will follow up at three additional time points after the procedure: at about 2, 4, and 9 months. We are looking forward to better understanding the true nature of PRP in the treatment of hair loss.

If you are interested in learning more about this investigation, please contact Dr. Carlos K. Wesley's office at 212-249-9393 or email his office manager at drwesley.office@gmail.com

Good question, Levrais. Thank you.

Patients who have previously undergone an HT may be candidates if one of the following criteria are met: 1) They should be at least 18 months out from a prior session in order to ensure that PRP treatment does not interfere with growth of newly-transplanted hairs from a prior session, or 2) the area undergoing PRP therapy is separate from the area treated by the HT (e.g. HT to frontal third may receive PRP in the crown).

Dr. Wesley, this is pretty interesting. I am really interested in learning how much of a benefit PRP matched to a persons own molecular profile has on the scalp. I really wish I could have taken part in such studies that may benefit hair loss sufferers. I am a little over 8 months out from my FUE procedure for my frontal zone. I have had substantial thinning in the crown areas which is a zone that I have not had any restoration work. However, medications seemed to be very effective. At the same time there is very minor thinning and I am certain when I stop medications, the crown is going to go back to recession unless I do something about it. From the research so far, does PRP treatment make the skin/scalp tissue tougher in texture? I wonder if it helps increases blood flow or reduces it if it adds strength/cellular growth in the treated regions of the scalp. If a person that had a hair transplant, comes back to work in that same area again later, will there be a delayed growth since the area was already affected? So, if this is administered, I am interested to learn if PRP helps maintain a constant rich vascular supply and if that same area can be worked on for future hair loss. It's great reading about your research as well as seeing your high quality restoration results.

Hi, Sean.

In limited studies, it has been reported that autologous platelet rich plasma (PRP) injected directly into the scalp can increase overall hair counts and hair diameter while microscopic findings reveal thickened epithelium, proliferation of collagen fibers and fibroblasts, as well as greater numbers of blood vessels around hair follicles in areas that have been treated with PRP.(1)

Regarding your question about treatment in a transplanted area, it is certainly a possibility that any dormant or miniaturized follicles may benefit from PRP. However, since newly transplanted hair follicles may still be growing in up to 18 months after a session, we do not want to interfere with a transplanted area until 18 months after a session. A non-treated area (e.g. a crown after a HT to the frontal third) is certainly possible. Thanks for your question and I look forward to providing more information in the future!

(1) Takikawa M, Nakamura S, Nakamura S, Ishirara M, et al., “Enhanced Effect of Platelet-Rich Plasma Containing a New Carrier of Hair Growth” Dermatol Surg 2011; 37:1721-1729.