Generic Finasteride from reputable Lab

MGZ

I see all these stories about splitting the pills in quarters, like I'm doing, but no one really mentions if it's by Merk or not. I would love to know, as I started 1.25mg of generic Finasteride 3 days ago.

My pharmacist said the ingredients are identical, but then have had other people say that Propecia is better and prescribed by most HT clinics, and that something with way it bonds is more efficient, which is kind of believable since propecia is SPECIFICALLY for hairless, and proscar/generic fin is for prostate.

This is what Im taking, prescribed by family doctor and from a reputable laboratory in the Toronto area. It costed around $30 for a 4 month supply (cut in quarters). Propecia 1mg would cost me over $100 a month, which is expensive and worth the price with some hard evidence to making a difference.

8234777.jpeg

I have been cutting the same proscar since 1996 just a few years before Merck developed Propecia. I am still doing it to this day with the same good results. And yes it's true that Propecia was specifically developed for treating MPB. Having said that, IMHO, it is more related to the low daily dosgae of 1mg. In other words the issue was to clinically demonstrate that 5mg daily is not necessary to save our hair. IMHO, it has little to do with the even mixture of the pill or even the rate of ingestion.

Yet we must remember that proscar was developed for treating the swelling of the prostrate gland. It was through the discovery in one of the side-effects of proscar that men were also retaining their hair and some were experiencing some levels of hair regrowth while taking proscar. It was then further clinically tested by Merck again to establish that most men suffering from the effects of MPB, only needed a daily dosage of 1mg to effectively inhibit DHT.

My initial understanding was that it went through prior trial periods and approval by the FDA but somehow the FDA would not approve the "release to the market" because of the other potential side-effects mentioned on the labeling. My understanding was that Merck then did further trials demonstrating that with proper handling and usage, it was safe but only for men, not for use by females. The FDA also required more disclosure on the labeling before they would approve the release.

You can find a wealth of background clinical info at the Propecia website.

But honestly, IMHO, Merck wanted the patent on the pill not because they feared patients were cutting proscar, no, no. They wanted the patent which they still own because there was potentially a wealth of money to be made! And as with other meds they hold patent righst on, they were right. They are in fact making millions hand over fist on Propecia to this day.

Many years ago, I met an MD who was a dermatologist in my home town and also had open donor surgery himself several times. He was also cutting proscar for his own hairloss and i started doing it myself right after my first HT in 1996. He gave me the prescriptions for proscar. Again that was before Propecia was approved for release by the FDA.

When Propecia did finally reach the market, I did try it but like you , found it over-priced. Surprise, surprise. Plus, as you know, over time, many other licensed physicians are of the opinion that cutting proscar is not an issue unless there are women in the household with the potential of conceiving. Women cannot handle the "active ingredient" finasteride. I heard that it was one of the issues that the FDA required to be addressed in the pharmacology disclosures and product labeling.

I onced worked for a HT surgeon who used to explain to his patients how to cut Proscar safely if the cost of Propecia was too out of reach. He agreed to write scripts for proscar at the time. Then the Merck reps kept showing up and one day out of nowhere he announced that he was going to start supplying and re-filling Propecia from the clinic and that it was now the only way to go.

What I found out and even to this day was that most of the docs who are not selling Propecia don't care which form of finasterdie that their men patients use as long as they do it at the proper daily dosage and safe handling. Many doctors selling Propecia will tell you that it is the only way to go.

I will let you read between the lines...

Am I suggesting to you to not take Propecia? Of course not. In fact, whenever the question comes up, my opinion is that Propecia may be the safest way to go because there is no cutting of the the pill releasing the active ingredient. Some guys tell me that they will only consider Propecia while planning children. Once that is done, they will start cutting proscar to save on the expense.

Edited by gillenator

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I agree at over 3 bucks a pop for Propecia gets old real quick. My HT Dr. gave me a perscription at 8 month check up. I thought why not give it a try. I now cut the Generic Proscar into 1/4's and get a years supply for about what the Propecia was costing me for a month. So far so good and see less if any fallen hair in shower etc.

Also, I hear more and more guys tell me that they get their scripts for proscar from their family physician. That way, their health insurance pays for the proscar and many of them have low co-pays like $10 for 30 pills. Some retailers like WalMart, etc retail proscar very cheaply.

When I moved to a new area, I started getting my scripts from my new PCP which i still do. I pay roughly $15.00 US for thirty proscar tablets. :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY