Balding or thinning on the vertex

c40a

Please examine my headshots (both taken on same day, but another one appears more like male pattern baldness). About 40 years of age. I really am not sure how long my vertex was looking like this, but I think it's possible it's been like this for a very long time possibly from my early 20s, and I really didn't think much of it.

As you can see, I don't think I have bald spots, and if I cut my hair on my vertex and compare to hairs from other parts, it doesn't look any thinner.... Hair shedding is not noticeable. Probably anywhere from 10 to 50 a day.

Doctors have said that I have male pattern baldness, but I am not sure how accurate the diagnosis was as the scalp tissue sample was taken from lower right side of the head where hairs are typically retained in bald men.

Could this be just the way I have combed my hair for long time?

I understand that MPB can hit you after skipping few generations.

If I am balding, do I have pretty good chance of success with Min and/or Fin as this would be early stage?

What make this confusing for me which doctors can't answer is because I don't have my vertex pictures from my early 20s, if my vertex has been like this since my early 20s, then it might be better to not use medicines and use something less aggressive such as LLLT or saw palmetto??

Also, do I make a candidate for hair transplant surgery? One of the derms I met said I am not at that stage yet.

I also would like to know is there such a thing as a non-aggressive balding. Thank you.

2.jpg.9acaad24b37c978707785af9b3de18ad.jpg

3.jpg.83183d1b9ae7b460409c948baea4d7ea.jpg

Edited by c40a

It looks a bit early for surgery.

I'm not a physician but I'd say try Regaine/Rogaine foam for a year and see how it goes.

The foam is as easy as brushing your teeth and can be effective for some even if it is applied once as opposed to the recommended twice a day.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Too early for surgery but you can see very good results with propecia and rogaine to stop the thinning and possibly regrow dormant hairs. You should try these two or one year and reevaluate.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians