Painfull stitches when sleeping

jdubdoubleu

I had my hair transplant on April 25th. It hurts to sleep with the back of my head on the pillows, I can't tell if the part of my head where they injected the fluid is what hurts or if its where the stitches are. I stopped taking the pain meds cause I thought I didn't need them anymore. Lastnight I couldn't sleep cause the back of my head kept hurting. This is the first time i've ever had stitches and would like to know if its normal for the pain to last this long? Thanks for any help given.

Yep that's pretty normal, you're only 5 days out and have a pretty large incision. I bought one of those neck pillows post surgery that helped keep my head elevated so I wouldn't feel pressure on the area. The swelling and tenderness should decrease with each passing day, just be sure to keep eye on area for any seeping/pus, or if you run a fever check in with the Doc. I put neosporin ointment on mine for the first 7-10 days, think it helped area to heal faster, check your post op instructions. But my donor area was much more painful that the recipient area, they take a pretty big flap of tissue out back there. Good luck, now the waiting game!

Sometimes just trimming the knot on each end will take care of it. I guess one guy every other month rolls in about day 4 or 5 to have that done. In those cases its the long end of the suture where it was tied that pokes into the surrounding skin.

Give your doctor a call and maybe that can help.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I had my hair transplant on April 25th. It hurts to sleep with the back of my head on the pillows, I can't tell if the part of my head where they injected the fluid is what hurts or if its where the stitches are. I stopped taking the pain meds cause I thought I didn't need them anymore. Lastnight I couldn't sleep cause the back of my head kept hurting. This is the first time i've ever had stitches and would like to know if its normal for the pain to last this long? Thanks for any help given.

Hey Mate!

I am not a physician, but do know enough about this process and procedure that a painful wound area can be a sign of infection. Please have your surgeon examine right away. Also in our centers we recommend that people find away to sleep during the critical post surgery time as to not have pressure on the surgical wound. Sleeping sitting up, placing a ping pong ball strategically at you back and rolling a towel for a neck rests are ways our patients avoid pressure on the donor area. After a few days of healing they are usually able to go back to their normal sleeping positions.

Still make sure the area has not been traumatized or infected by seeing your HT doctor.

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum