Generic Finasteride THAT much cheaper? Everybody plz read.

So I got a prescription on friday for Propecia 5mg. The pharmacist told me only generic finasteride only comes in 5mg, and that is what he would prescribe me.

Now I can't understand how it is so much cheaper, I'm from Canada by the way.

Propecia 1mg 30 day supply: Around $100

Finasteride 5mg 30day supply (4 month): $26!!!

26 dollars for 4 months, that seems unreal.

I'm still skeptical about taking generic fin, but this is a good way to test the side effects and not waste money.

My pharmacist said the drugs are identical, but I've heard people say propecia is better.

Is there any science backing this claim?

Thanks!

The pharmacist told me only generic finasteride only comes in 5mg, and that is what he would prescribe me.

First, your pharmacist cannot prescribe anything so I'm not sure why he would say this. Your pharmacist must fill the prescription as written by your doctor. In some cases they can offer the generic equivalent and in some states it is the law that they must inform you of the generic options.

To say that only generics come in 5mg tablets is also wrong. 5mg finasteride originally came out as Proscar, before Propecia was even available, as a prostate medication. 100.00 for 30 tabs of Propecia seems a bit pricey but regardless the 5mg version is what you should take as long as you are cutting it into quarters. However, we have found in our clinic that sometimes the generic 5mg finasteride is not as consistent with it's reliability as the original 5mg Proscar made by Merck. It will run you about 75.00 for 30 tabs, (yes a four month supply) but that is still pretty cheap overall.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

First, your pharmacist cannot prescribe anything so I'm not sure why he would say this. Your pharmacist must fill the prescription as written by your doctor. In some cases they can offer the generic equivalent and in some states it is the law that they must inform you of the generic options.

To say that only generics come in 5mg tablets is also wrong. 5mg finasteride originally came out as Proscar, before Propecia was even available, as a prostate medication. 100.00 for 30 tabs of Propecia seems a bit pricey but regardless the 5mg version is what you should take as long as you are cutting it into quarters. However, we have found in our clinic that sometimes the generic 5mg finasteride is not as consistent with it's reliability as the original 5mg Proscar made by Merck. It will run you about 75.00 for 30 tabs, (yes a four month supply) but that is still pretty cheap overall.

You're right, it's Proscar he's giving me. I was prescribed Propecia by the walk in clinic doctor, and the pharmacist told me my other options.

Why is Propecia 5mg better? I can't imagine there being any physical evidence of this. Pharmacist said they are manufactured the exact same way and contain the same elements.

$100 is pricey for 1 month supply (1mg), which is relatively the price here,, but I was sucked into rogaine foam versus kirkhunter so I'll probably be sucked into propecia.

Edited by MGZ