Quick question

I had my HT on 2/7/12 and a fair amount of the hair continued to grow:D. For the past week I have had bumps form on my head but they never form a head or break the surface. I thought it might be a little early for some of the grafts to begin growing but I have had steady growth of new hair for the last month. I suppose I could be considered an early grower. My question is however is about these large bumps on my head. Any advise would be appreciated.

Falcon,

Are the bumps all over your scalp? Do they itch or appear red?

Usually, new growth isn't seen until the 3-4 month mark, but if your implanted grafts never really shed, or you've already seen some new growth, you could be an early grower - meaning the bumps could be new graft growth. Although the situation sounds okay, you may also want to email/call your hair transplant clinic and inquire about the bumps.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

The bumps are like acne. I have had them before they just rise up then go away in a couple of days. They never break the surface and I am not sure if they would show up in a photo. I just did not know if they are ingrown hairs. I smashed one bump that did form a head and revealed a hair, good times... However, the bumps that I am concerned about are deeper in the scalp. Not really painfull or unsightly. Was just wondering if they were ingrown hair.

Is it possible that the surgeon placed some of the grafts a little to deep and if so would they even grow or cause some problem that I am currently having.

A little background... I had my HT performed where I live and it was not performed by one of the surgeons on this site. I did not find this site until about 3 weeks post op. Sure wish I would have done more research prior to my procedure. I will be 6 months out at the end of July I am researching now and have the surgeons narrowed down to Ron Shapiro, Jerry Cooley and Glenn Charles.

Thanks for responding...

Pimples in the recipient area is normal around this time as its the first sign of growth you'll see it for another month or so.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the response.

I have some that I would consider regular pimples but I have had a couple and one now that is more like the lump that Wile E. Cyote gets after the anvil falls on his head. :rolleyes:

Is it possible that a graft was placed too deep and will not break the surface?

Future HT Doc,

A fair amount of the grafts never shed and I have had some new growth begining last month. I can tell because I am a NW5A and pre HT the front area had no hair at all. Now I have hair difuse over the recepient area. It is not a tremendous amount but considering the baseline was zero it is enough to consider growth. I know that I have a long way to go and can feel more breaking the surface each week. I thought due to my age that I would probably start the growth phase probably into the 4th month. I am happy to see early comers to the party but these larger bumps are concerning.

I will talk to my doc about this tomorrow. I thought I would ask about others expierences and if placing a graft to deep would cause this.

Thanks for the help....

Falcon,

3-4 months is the "usual" time period for new graft growth, but each patient is unique. You could easily be one of the "early growers." Let us know what your physician thinks. I would also definitely consider TheHairUpThere's advice/expertise.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.