HT, Finasteride, Rogaine and side effects

Barry1108

Hi all, I have receeding hairline and slight loss at crown. I have a HT booked in for the middle of May and I have also been taking 1mg finpecia daily as well as using rogaine foam.

The problem is my sex drive has been reduced to virtually nothing and I am desperate to sort it out.

I am considering a few options and would love some advice from some of the more experienced board members if possible.

1 option I am thinking is to just take finpecia 3 times per week (Mon, Wed, Fri)

Another option I am thinking is that maybe after my HT I will be OK just using the foam to keep what I already have as I am not losing my hair at an alarming rate ( I am 39 and have been losing it gradually for about 12 years, the finpecia and rogaine foam seem to have slowed it down to a virtual stop.

Ideally I will stop taking the finpecia but was just wondering what others thought, can lowering it to 3 times per week have a positive effect on hair retention as well as stopping the low libido side effect?

Hi Barry

I'm glad you've asked this question as I'm going through something similar myself

Ive been on fin 1 mg daily for 10 months now and recently my libido gas fallen off a cliff

I've also noticed some drying out if the skin.when I started fin my sex drive was really high

And I was taking quinagolide to counteract high prolacatin which made my libido even higher

As it raises testosterone i stopped quinagolide 6 months ago and my sex drive was still quite high.

I was considering just taking half a tablet per day hopefully this would help with the libido

And the skin.

I've just had a Ht so I don't want to risk coming off the fin and start losing hair behind the transplant

Barry be careful if you come off and still have a Ht as you could end up chasing your tail trying to stop the loss.

I too would love some advice on this

I take Finasteride in the morning and Avodart in the evening. Compared to Finasteride, NOTHING should kill libido like Avodart. It is substantially stronger than Finasteride. I also take Spironolactone, which is an antiandrogen.

That said, my wife and I get intimate at least 15 days out of 30. Considering I am 41, you can see why I usually ignore people's claims of lost libido with these posts.

Barry, according to your profile you are either 38 or 39. If you are a true NW3 consider yourself very lucky. I've seen a few on this board in their 20's at a NW7.

Yes, Finasteride can cause watery semen. The longer you are on a medication the more side effects will subside. PLEASE BELIEVE THIS!! It is true for any meds. Your body will adjust.

I see you are booked with a HT with Dr. Path in May. He is one of the most outstanding physicians on this site. You will be pleased!

Also, Rogaine, even at the 5 percent dose, doesn't cause systemic effects unless you are going way overboard on the recommended dosage.

I wish you luck!!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D