Density

I have been intrigued about the density of the newly transplanted hair. While it seems like that in post HT pictures (for someone in Norwood scale IV and above), the newly transplanted area won't be dense. But, the results after 6-8 months give the impression of a full head.

Why is this so? Even in my case, I am at the 10th day with all the scabs gone. It seems like I have a buzz cut, but there is a bit of distance between my transplanted hair. I am hoping that when it grows, it will look more dense. How does this hair become dense after 6-8 months and why does it become dense?

Initially when the hairs start to pop out at around 3 to 4 months, they are fine, vellus hairs.

As the months go on, and more hair start to shoot, they start to mature, darken in colour, and the diameter of shaft thickens.

This is why you don't see the full result until 12 to 18 months.

The illusion of density depends on how many grafts per cm^2 you have had planted and is aided by your own unique hair characteristics, eg if your hair is very wavy, thick, naturally high density etc.

Growing your transplanted hair to a certain length maximises the illusion of coverage, in comparison to having your hair very short.

Edited by chrisdav

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

I'd like to extend this question a bit further.. as it is very relevant to what I have just come here to ask.

I am now at 3months and 1 week since getting a HT. The hair is very clearly growing back and I would say it is at an acceptable rate compared with others I have seen. It is certainly not fast, but I am getting growth.

My question is, at 3 months, roughly what density of the final result can be expected? I would estimate that I need about 3x as many hairs to sprout in order to achieve an end result which I would be happy with and 4x as many to give me something which I would be proud of. For the average person, would it seem ok that only 25-30% of their transplanted hair has sprouted after this time?

Transplanted hair kind of starts off like a babies hair. It begins very fine and gets coarser over time.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D