Surgery deposit question - Belgium

Hi all,

I'm a UK newbie here and was just looking for a bit of reassurance.

I'm intending to have a procedure with Dr Jean Devroye in the next couple of months at his Belgium clinic. Reading the various hair restoration sites Dr Devroye seems to be well thought of, very professional and held in high regard.

I contacted my bank today to make the necessary arrangements to send through the cash deposit for the surgery. However, they are questioning why I am being asked to send my deposit to a bank account in America when the clinic is in Belgium?

I'm sure they are just trying to look out for me and that there's nothing untoward about this arrangement. Clearly Dr Devroye is a well established and respected surgeon.

Could some site members put my mind at rest that this is nothing to be worried about?

Many thanks,

IndigoBlue

I would recommend that you first verify who the American/US bank account is registered to or better yet who named on the account. If it is your doctor or his organization, then I do not see this as a problem.

It is when any clinic or doctor wants to be paid "in full" before receiving any services that is highly discouraged from doing.

As an "independent" advocate, you would be surprised at how many times that I have heard complaints regarding paying for something that the patient did not receive.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Yes, they have quoted a price in Euros. Transferring a large sum of money to another country is alien territory for me, so I admit I'm a little nervous about it.

I'd much rather just hand over a cheque when I get there! A bit old fashioned I know :-)

Thanks both for your comments.

That's right, the cheque takes around 5 working days to clear so a clinic wouldn't accept that.

Call the clinic or email them & ask them why you have to send the money to the US, I would also ask if they're okay with sending only part of the money & the rest in cash on the day. That's what I did.

You can also pay by credit card if you get the credit limit from the bank

Most clinics and doctors accept a room deposit in advance and then accept your credit card for the balance on the day you receive the services, meaning surgery.

You may also discover there are other fees and/or if your graft count is adjusted on the day of your procedure, they can adjust the total and collect payment by your card.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Did you by chance talk to Dr. Bisanga? He's good to work with and does some awesome work my friend...was just curious. ;)

Gillenator

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, in reply to your worry about the american account for dr.devroye I had the same worry but I went ahead and paid and had my procedure with Dr.Devroye at the beginning of march. I can honestly say that he never at any time brought up payment even after my procedure. I had to mention it. Im 5 weeks in and have been lucky that quite a lot of my hair has not fallen out. Good luck whoever you chose to go with.:)

Oh I will be posting some pics when I have a minute and figure out how to.