Shock Loss

Is it possible to experience shock loss as far as 3 months post op? I have been on Fin for about 6months now and starting to notice considerable hair loss just above the donor area.

Only my Hairline was worked on. Really freaking me out.

Thanks

Hank

In most cases, shockloss is not that delayed post-op because normally, shockloss is trauma related. By now, your scalp should have recovered from that.

Is it possible that you started finasteride shortly before your procedure? On average, it takes about 90 days for finsteride to begin effectively inhibitng DHT. I have obsrved some men to then experience a temporary shedding of exisitng hair because the inhibition can cause many of the hair follicles to retreat into telogen (resting) and then begin a new growth cycle period.

It also sounds like the crown area is what is thinning when you stated just above the area above the scar? Or are you seeing complete shockloss around your strip scar or just one side of the strip scar? It is alwasy possible that it may be also some delayed shockloss around the donor scar.

It should fill in again so I would not worry about it. It's the waiting that can be trying on the emotions.

Best wishes to you! :cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

In most cases, shockloss is not that delayed post-op because normally, shockloss is trauma related. By now, your scalp should have recovered from that.

Is it possible that you started finasteride shortly before your procedure? On average, it takes about 90 days for finsteride to begin effectively inhibitng DHT. I have obsrved some men to then experience a temporary shedding of exisitng hair because the inhibition can cause many of the hair follicles to retreat into telogen (resting) and then begin a new growth cycle period.

It also sounds like the crown area is what is thinning when you stated just above the area above the scar? Or are you seeing complete shockloss around your strip scar or just one side of the strip scar? It is alwasy possible that it may be also some delayed shockloss around the donor scar.

It should fill in again so I would not worry about it. It's the waiting that can be trying on the emotions.

Best wishes to you! :cool:

Yes, i started using fin about 2 or so months before my procedure, and yes the loss being experienced is around the crown area. I keep my hair long, so every time i run my fingers through my hair i get long hairs falling out. The recipient area around my hairline is perfectly fine, infact, i was one of the lucky ones who never experienced any dormant phase so at three months, all my transplanted hair has grown out already.

Ive never experienced hair loss like this before, i still have a full head of hair, except for my receding hairline, so its really traumatizing :-(

Well that's good news Hank. IMHO, your crown then is responding to finasteride in the positive because those follicles are going dormant. And unless that native hair was real diffused and debilitated, it should grow back in 3-4 months. It's your transplants that are still growing that shock me. Because most patients shed the grafts within 30 days post-op.

I mean that's a good thing when i say I am shocked! Keep growing!;)

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Thank you gillenator for your response! In Many ways reassuring, but man...loosing hair where i never did before is freaking me the hell out! My crown was thinning before fin, but nothing noticeable at all, now i might have to use a concealer if this shedding continues for another month at the rate it is. Im just confused as to how a drug thats inhibits DHT causes more harm before it actually takes effect. That and the initial pain in my testicles when i started really hit the two cornerstones of life, My Balls and now my Hair. Guess il just have to hang in there. At least i have one positive thus far, my transplant is progressing amazingly! Yes, about 90% of the transplanted hair remained and kept growing! Now 3 months after my HT, i have noticeable amount of visible hair in my hairline :-)

You're welcome Hank. Try to not think of the finasteride as "doing more intial harm" than good because this temporary loss is a good sign. I know what you mean by doing the initial visual loss because the first cycle stage is dormancy of the hair follicles and the hair falls out!

You will notice the improvement in 6-9 months and longer and yes, hang in there my friend!:cool:

Gillenator

• 2 months later...

Just thought id post a follow up..the shedding continued for about 3 to 4 weeks then it suddenly stopped out of nowhere! Now 2 months later my hair around my crown is considerably thicker and stronger than ever before :-) It was incredibly traumatizing loosing hair every day especially if you weren't aware of a fin shed. The advice i received was to stick it out, and boy did it pay off. For all those going through this nasty shed, hang in there..it gets better!

Glad to hear about the improvement Hank. Many of those dormant follicles are now emerging in the growth phase and what a difference a little time and patience will make.

Enjoy the new growth man! :)

Gillenator