many questions re age, fue/fut

Hello there,

I'm 25 and have been receeding slowly since I was 16. It has become more noticeable over the past two years and I can't style my way out it. I'd say I'm a Norwood 3 vertex, the vertex part being a recent addition.

I have a period of about 3 months coming up before I start a new job in which will be the perfect oppurtunity for me to get a hair transplant. I'm going to be a junior doctor so after this period my chance to take a holiday longer than 2 weeks for the next 5 years won't be too great! I've been considering a HT for ages now and have got to the point where it's now or never. I know its not quite as black and white as that but thats how it feels. Also, Dermatology and Hair Loss would be a really interesting area to work in so I feel I can learn a lot by observing what is done to myself and talking to the team as they do it. I'll probably be one annoying patient. I'm sick of looking 35 when I feel 18. I was quite good looking when I had hair! I'm not depressed but I definately have less confidence and self esteem than I used to. It really annoys me when I see people look up at my hair line in mid conversation.

Family history wise my dad is a norwood VII but I'm not following a similar hair loss pattern to him, he was norwood VI by my age. I'm lucky because he is willing to finance a large part of this based on his own experiences of hair loss. Most other members of my family have great sets of hair, apart from my norwood VII grandad but he is 95.

I think I will need between 3000-4000 grafts. Ideally I would like FUE as I like the ole short back and sides and long on top look, I also know that my hair loss will probably get worse so a scar isn't desirable ( I am prepared to have further HT's). I hear much comment on what ideal FUE patients are like but not enough actual detail or how to roughly assess your own suitability. I understand how to check my hair laxity but is there anything quantitive I can compare it to? My hair is quite thick, black and straight. I have North Indian skin colour, quite pale brown. To be fair I look bloody green in the winter.

Is 4000 over 2-3 days too much for the body to heal adequately and would strip in 1 day be better? Are the transection rates greater in higher quantity sessions?

If I were to get a strip would the scar have a greater chance of widening due to my age?

I know no one can tell me what to do but I'm trying to canvass as much opinion as possible before going ahead with it. I don't want to waste my dads money on FUE if the results won't be as good as a strip either.

I've attached some photos. Thanks for reading!

P.S. I'm not taking any meds, the side effect profile is a bit off putting and I don't want to be tied down to taking them for the rest of my life at this age - I'd rather have repeated HT's.

dsc0023dy.th.jpg

dsc0021ve.th.jpg

dsc0019dr.th.jpg

dsc0016gy.th.jpg

dsc0015sn.th.jpg

dsc0014zk.th.jpg

anondsc0010.th.jpg

Depends on your long-term outlook on life. I understand the hesitation on the meds. You will get a lot of people that tell you that you should be on them, and all things being equal, you should be to preserve your back and possibly regrow some. On the other hand, there are long-term health considerations that just have not been determined yet, even if you do not get sides. So you have to assume that you might progress to say a NW6. That being said, if you want to go with FUE to preserve the short hair option, be prepared to chase the balding pattern only as far back as the FUE total amount will allow, which may only be half way back and no crown depending on supply. And that look may be fine in the long run. Or, for better yield and survivability, use strip and be careful to preserve enough for the long run. Just be wary either way about the docs that recommend 3-4K just in the front at this point (especially FUE). I think that is too much given where your balding may head. Your donor characteristics will change with each surgery and over time, affecting total supply. Better to be a little conservative given your family history, come in pretending that you are already an NW6 and ask the doc how to approach. Finally, strip will head up in about a month and you will get sensations over the course of the year as it heals. FUE will heal up quicker but it is still surgery, and your individual healing characteristics will determine your recovery time.

Alphaalone.

The surgeons on here are investigated, scrutinised and visited on here by the people who run the site.

The site has some of the very best doctors around the world recommended.

This forum and maybe the bald truth are the best and most reliable forums, but there are a few others to check out such as hairlosshelp, hairloss experiences and a few more which are also good.

I would take your time to educate yourself by reading the forums before you make any decisions as hair surgery is permanent and you only have a limited supply of donor hair, so you cannot afford to make the wrong decision as you will bare the consequences not just financially but mentally and you will have less hair to get the coverage you desire if it is wasted.

Find the 5 surgeons who you believe are the best surgeons to help achieve your goals and have a consultation with all 5, it would be preferable to meet all 5 but if not online and face to face with a couple.

They will soon be able to diagnose your current situation and what would be best for you in the long term, then I am sure they will put a plan together to help you achieve your goals.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Hi Mate

Do as much research as possible and don't rush in. Consult with as many doctors and meet as many HT patients as you can.

You might want to reconsider the meds though; simply saying, 'I'd rather have repeated HT's', is naive and short sighted. Having had one HT, the thought of having the invevitable 2nd op, fills me with dread- it's not a walk in the park. You only have a limited amount of hair and your hairloss ir relatively advanced at 25, so think carefullly. Even with FUE, you can't negate scarring and donor depletion, you are still taking the roses from the back and putting them elsewhere in the garden.

Good luck

Send photos out to some of the doctors you like and see what they say. I doubt if you'll need as many as 4000 grafts for the front (and the crown is probably best left untouched at this time).

As well as the need to research, your three month time scale is probably unrealistic due to surgeons' waiting lists.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com