Rogaine and Propecia after Hair Transplant

Dude2012

Do all the patients have to maintain their hair growth using Rogaine or Propecia after the surgery is done ? The hairs are suppose to be growing for a lifetime after the surgery. Does that mean, one has to apply rogaine or propecia after the surgery for his entire life ?

Dude2012,

Welcome! I've taken the liberty of moving your post to a new thread in the Hair Loss Drugs sub-forum.

It is not necessary to use Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride) in order to maintain transplanted hair. These hairs come from the permanent donor supply and are genetically programmed to resist the effects of DHT.

However, since hair loss is progressive, you may still lose hair surrounding the transplants. For this reason, most hair transplant surgeons recommend that their patients medically stabilize their hair loss with one or both of these drugs.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Dude2012

David is right, I had my hair restoration surgery two weeks ago. I am on propecia to help keep the hair I do have, and potentially, regrow a few on my crown area. My restoration was to reestablish my front hairline.

P

Anyone actively losing hair who wants the best chance of keeping and or regrowing it should at least use Propecia. Minoxidil is a good treatment to add also and when used in combination with Propecia you get a synergistic effect.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Some people think it may reduce shock loss if you take it..Im not buying that because I got hammered pretty hard in the recipient area, however, I do think it is very important to take just to hold on to any native hair you may have left..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Hello all,

Thank you all for your replies. This forum really works :).

I have been using Minoxidil 5% (Rogaine 5% solution) for last 2.5 years. It works great on my hairs. I have grown new hairs also. However, I have grown facial hairs too, because of which there are some dark marks on my forehead. Facial hairs make me look really ugly, so I stopped the use of Minoxidil and I dont want to take propecia as on Wikipedia and all over the internet its mentioned it has side effects of impotency. I am just 27 right now, so I dont think this is the right time I want to do propecia :). Right now, I am not completely bald. Its thinning of hairs.

Thinking of getting HT done now. But its an expensive affair in US, so here I am in this forum to take your advice guys. I dont want to land up in a situation where I have already spent $8k to $10k and I still have to use Minoxil/Propecia to maintain hair growth.

Any comments ?

I have one more question. Does working out in gym leads to hair loss ?

Thank you for your reply NewHairplease !

I just want to confirm what you stated:

So you are saying "I will never lose transplanted hair and I dont have to apply or take any medicine to maintain it"....correct ?

-Dude2012 !

Thank you all for your replies....Can anybody recommend me best doctor for FUE/FUT around San Franscisco/ Bay Area ? I can travel to LA, if LA has better surgeons. I have visited the recommented doctors section in this website but I am still confused which one to pick and whether it will be worth to travel to LA from Bay Area, CA.

I am in process of doing some research on this website and reading several threads.