hair products after surgery

I am 3 and a half weeks post 1st surgery, I am 46 y-o norwood 6, since my transplant I have had no shedding yet and have lots of little hairs growing on top of my head where there hasn't been for years, people are commenting on how better I look already, my question is hair products to hide baldness/thinning hair, am I safe to use these products so soon after my ht?, I have just ordered toppik hair building fibers, toppik hair spray and sammy fat hair creme, I won't use any of them if there's any danger but if they are safe I'd like to try them and see if they work, what I spent on them is very small compared to the cost of my ht, so got nothing to lose by giving it a try, read lots of favourable reviews online before ordering these products but as I said if any of these products can interfere with my newly placed grafts then I won't be putting them anywhere near my head, I realise I am very early to try this but without hair for so long I am curious to see what is achievable once my grafts have fallen out and regrown, be great if someone can advise me on this.

Wrapper, I am nearly 3 weeks post op. I started using Toppik starting about 5 days after the procedure. I do this when I go to work. I was advised to shower/shampoo when I got home. I've had no adverse reactions to this. However, If you have an bleeding, I wouldn't use Toppik.

I'm in the same boat as you, waiting for growth! Steve

I think you will be fine, however, I would sure make sure that you wash it out every night before you go to bed...Also, I wouldn't cake it on.....I know there are some theories out there that say toppik can clog the new hair growth...I don't know if thats true, personally I don't think it is, but I always err to the side of caution..

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

I wouldn't use toppik until 6 months! that stuff locks into the little divets made by your surgeons slits and is very hard to get out, i have seen quite a few pictures where it has got so stuck in the slit divets that it has caused a infection and virtually ruined the job it's really not worth it so early on. Obviously the better your surgeon the less chance of it getting in divets as a good surgeons would be very shallow if a divet at all.

Also i personally believe that toppik on the scar irritates the scar and makes it flare up red which makes your scar worse and longer healing but i have seen people use it on the scar early and not complain of any problems so the scar is more my own theory.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

thanks bonkerstonker, if there's pictures on the internet of this stuff causing damage then I won't use it, I'll put it away in a cupboard and use it in 6 months, shame, I've just got it and wanted to see what I looked like with hair on top of my head for the first time in many years, just have to be patient, something which you need in this game!!!!

Yes mate no point in taking the smallest risk. Have a look on jotronics personal website I think there's a video or pictures on there if I remember correctly as I've seen example somewhere quite recently his sites a good read anyway if not.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk