Oily scalp, propecia and future hairloss after HT

Travis1

Hi guys,

Got a question, is it normal to experience minor hair loss after taking propecia. Minor hair loss as in when you're washing your hair and you realise a few strands of hair are found when you lather.

I'm beginning to suspect that my hair loss can be attributed to an oily scalp and hence require a wash every morning and evening. Does any of you have a similar problem with this? How do you resolve it? Will the oily scalp cause my HT to fail after that?

Do kindly comment.

Hi, Its not uncommon to get a shed at the start of adding to your regime. In this case propecia. It's just your hair going into a resting phase and should grow back healthier than before.

Regards :)

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

I agree, shedding can occur initially when you start propecia or rogaine. Sometimes, people give up on the treatments thinking they will continue to lose more and not grow it back. Usually it takes a few months before you see the actual results. So you have to keep on using the stuff a whole year to see if it works for you.

As far as OILY scalp is concerned, I used to have this problem big time. I felt it also contributed to hairloss especially since oily hairs made my hairs look thin as well. There were like 3 things that seemed to work. I used nioxin system 1 shampoo, which made my hair feel it had more volume. I used Nizoral (ketocanazole) shampoo TWICE a week. That shampoo does dry out the scalp. Really good to treat certain scalp conditions as well. I then started using Rogaine Foam at the end of September. The foam actually dries your scalp quite a bit. I use the stuff from the front of my hairline to the crown and have noticed oil production to go down. So much so, that I felt that my forehead, which once used to be oily, start to become dry. I had to sometimes use a little vitamin e oil or lotion to counter that effect.

Another shampoo that I experimented with that seemed to reduce oily scalp similar to Nizoral was Neutrogena TGel Shampoo. You may want to check it out if you haven't? Might help.

Good luck.

Hello, a shed from propecia is common at the start of taking the medicine, so nothing to be concerened about.

Oily skin won't make hair fall out, it's the DHT in your body causing hairloss. For the oily scalp, use Nizoral shampoo once or twice a week.

Also use Rogaine foam, it's very easy & quick to apply.