Hypothetical question about scar-fue'ing and future strip

A question popped up in my mind just minutes ago.

Lets say that you have had a strip procedure, but for some reason you decide that you want to sport a buzz - so you look into options to fue the scar - you have it done, it doesnt look perfect but it works.

Now lets say that you experience future hairloss, and decide to go for another strip.

The question: Will the grafts used to fue the scar be wasted? The way i see it, when the doctor harvests the old scar, he can extract grafts from that scar just like the new strip.

So, in theory, asuming that growth yield is 100%, fue'ing into a scar, followed by another strip does not waste anything besides money?

I know, yield is never 100%, especially if you do it twice with the same graft, but roll with me..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

A question popped up in my mind just minutes ago.

Lets say that you have had a strip procedure, but for some reason you decide that you want to sport a buzz - so you look into options to fue the scar - you have it done, it doesnt look perfect but it works.

Now lets say that you experience future hairloss, and decide to go for another strip.

The question: Will the grafts used to fue the scar be wasted? The way i see it, when the doctor harvests the old scar, he can extract grafts from that scar just like the new strip.

So, in theory, asuming that growth yield is 100%, fue'ing into a scar, followed by another strip does not waste anything besides money?

I know, yield is never 100%, especially if you do it twice with the same graft, but roll with me..

Any grafts that are growing in the scar tissue will be separated, trimmed, and placed just like any other grafts the strip yield.

Good question---and one that will likely come up---It is doubtful that one would choose to do another strip once FUE is done into the scar---any future hairloss would likely be progressive and you would likely do some small fue sessions to keep your look together.

But either way, the amount of grafts used to disguise a scar is pretty low--if you lost some due to low blood supply, etc... it would not be the end of the world, and again, you could do another strip in the future.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I think that grafts into scar have a very variable success rate. It all depends on the density of the scar, whether there is hypertrophy, and how easily the new grafts will be able to establish a blood supply.

I have a guy in this week, on whom I did FUE last year to scalp(worked great) and a small patch of scar(maybe 50%growth). He had some other work done and will be back Sat for pics. I'll try to get closeups of the scar grafts and post next week.

I am a bigger fan of scar excision than grafting into scar.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the replies. How many grafts, on average, is needed for lets say, a normal scar that you want to buzz to 5-10 mm.