Minimal traction alopecia

Hello everyone. I am a 20 year old sikh boy who, over the course of the last decade, has suffered from traction alopecia, specifically, along the frontal hairline, along the temples, and over the ears. Attributed wholly to wearing a turban until the age of 10, the traction alopecia has still remained minimal. To give you an idea of the extent of my hairloss, I can ask for a haircut with size 4 clippers, leaving the bald areas almost fully covered. My family literally has no past history of balding (my grandfather lived to the age of 78 with almost a full head of hair; any hairloss was attributed to his turban. As well, my father, currently in his 50's, also has a completely full head of hair). This rules out any potential future genetic hairloss (I will not be balding any time soon so please don't mention how getting a HT this early will leave less donor spots for future HT's; all I need corrected is the damage done by traction alopecia). Currently, I have very luscious, thick hair except in the aforementioned areas. That being said, I would like to lower my hairline and reconstruct the temple areas (my forehead is wider than it should be and I have no sharp points near the temples), as well as fill in the bald areas above my ears (approx 1 inch up to down by 2 inches left to right, is completely hairless, approx 1 inch by 2 inch right above this is slightly thinned). The hair on the nape of my head is VERY dense, surpassed by only the hair on top of my head. Considering this information, would I be a safe candidate for a transplant despite my age?

Pictures would definitely help make an assessment more accurate so please try and put some up. You are very young and usually doctors would ask you to wait for transplantation but if your hair loss is caused strickly from traction alopecia than you may be a candidate. The doctor would need to inspect your donor supply as well as the rest of your hair to see if he sees any miniaturization in other areas in order to see the full picture of your hair loss. Schedule an appointment with a recommended doctor from the forum and see what they say.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Yes, pictures would be helpful. So you haven't worn a turban since the age of ten? You don't plan on wearing one again, right?

Dr. G: 1,000 grafts (FUT) 2008

Dr. Paul Shapiro: 2,348 grafts (FUT) 2009 ~ 1,999 grafts (FUT) 2011 ~ 300 grafts (Scar Reduction) 2013

Dr. Konior: 771 grafts (FUT) 2015 ~ 558 grafts (FUT) 2017 ~ 1,124 grafts (FUE) 2020

My Hair Transplant Journey with Shapiro Medical Group