Efficacy of topical application after transplant

I've had a FUE hair transplant 3 and a half weeks ago. The surgeon asked me to apply 'Follica Medicinal Hair Tincture' on the transplanted area twice a day, starting from 16 days after the surgery till about 5-7 months.

The composition of this medicine is:

Benzyl Nicotinate 0.2% w/v

Vitamin K 0.2% w/v

Salicylic Acid I. P. 0.1% w/v

Alcohol(95%) I. P. 61% v/v

Colour Tartrazine

(Link to product: http://appletherapeutics.in/showprod...D=183&filter=1)

The surgeon tells me that this will help thicken growing (and existing) hair. Even if I believe that a short term effect like this could take place during the period of application, I remain very skeptical that this would have any long term/permanent effect though the surgeon says that it would indeed be the case, and that I should not discontinue usage till at least 5 months.

Has anyone else been prescribed any such thing? And do any people on the forum with medical training believe that this could have any lasting benefits?

hairtransplantGuy,

Apparently Benzyl Nicotinate another term for Nicotinic Acid which, in turn, is another term for Niacin.

According to Wikipedia, salicylic acid is a key ingredient in many skin-care products for the treatment of acne, psoriasis, calluses, corns, keratosis pilaris, and warts.

I don't see this product doing anything beneficial in terms of hair growth. In my opinion, it's best to stick with the tried and true; Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride).

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Hmm, the doctor seemed to think of this having no side effects which is probably not true of the drugs you mention. Additionally, unlike these medicines which prevent hair loss/makes hair regrow/improves density, he says that this one only increases the "thickness" of the existing/newly growing hair.

But what I find hard to believe is that he says it need to use it only for 5-7 months.

I have never heard of this product. Does this physician sell this out of his office or give you a prescription for it? Does the doctor have any ownership in the company who make it? It is one thing to buy products and sell them for a small profit. It is another to only recommend products that are made in house and not offer other viable options. I am suprised you were not told that it should be used indefinitely.

He doesn't sell it out of his office; he just prescribes it. I wouldn't know if he has any stake in the manufacturing company though. But yes he does says it only needs to be applied for 5-7 months (not even suggesting/recommending continued usage for general health of the hair etc).

I noticed that 5-7 months, the period he says this must be applied for, also happens to be the time period by which one can expect appreciable results of the HT... not sure if that's of any help to determine whether this would have any benefits or not, but I thought might be worth mentioning.

If he is prescribing it then there is probably not any hidden adgenda. He must feel that there is some benefit or he would not recommend it. Hopefully, he has had some positive results using this medication with other patients in the past.

Hi Bill / Glen,

Can u please advice i had my HT in the month of Nov and i started this topical minoxil after almost a month initially tehre was no irritation and itching but after about 1 month and a half a am feeling the same with lot of dandruff, i am using Nizoral as prescribed by this community, but still results the same.

Can you please advice what Changes i need to make, to get out of this irritation and whether appling oil after minoxil is ok or i need to stop.

Thanks in advance ,

Rgds

Vitamin K is for blood clotting. Benzyl Nicotinate is a form of Niacin, a vasodilator, for blood flow. Salicylic Acid is an astringent, which cleans the skin. It's a fairly decent combo for post op, but Graftcyte is the best.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Vitamin K is for blood clotting. Benzyl Nicotinate is a form of Niacin, a vasodilator, for blood flow. Salicylic Acid is an astringent, which cleans the skin. It's a fairly decent combo for post op, but Graftcyte is the best.

Thanks for describing the individual uses of the constituents. Strangely enough I was told to start applying the product only after 14-18 days of the transplant procedure after most of the scabs had fallen off.

I googled "Graftcyte", and this link describes a study conducted on its usefulness: GraftCyte Shows Improved Results for Hair Transplants

From the link, a comparison of the results when applying GraftCyte vs placebo:

The two treatments showed no difference when comparing the time after transplantation that hairs started regrowing (5.3 weeks for both), but the GraftCyte side showed better regrowth at 4, 8, and 12 weeks compared to the placebo side

What does this mean?? If hair started growing (why does it say regrow) after 5.3 weeks, how come there was better growth (its says regrowth again!) at 4 weeks for GraftCyte?

Perhaps I am not understanding something correctly?