Considering ~1000 graft FUE for scar repair. Advice?

Several years ago, I had an FUT procedure that resulted a strip scar; it's nothing special and pretty similar to others I've seen. I can't complain about the result; however, if I could turn back time I would've never gone that route.

So... I'm attempting to turn back time. =) My goal is to get the scar repaired so that I can shave my hair very short without the visibility of the scar.

Unfortunately, I live on the opposite side of the country from Dr. Umar who seems to be the consensus top choice for this procedure.

The reason for the post is that I'm strongly considering taking the leap and would love to get some feedback from some of his former patients or anyone that may want to offer advice.

Thank you in advance!

Do you any pics of the scar that you can show us? Is there any lingering redness? Do you feel it is too wide? IMHO, 1,000 FUE grafts is alot for a srtrip scar.

Also, it appears that you have done enough research and prefer Dr. Umar over other HT docs who also do repair into strip scars using FUE. If you are convinced that Dr. Umar is your repair surgeon, then try to not allow the distance to be a factor.

What other docs have you looked at for repair?

I trust you are aware that blood supply to the scar has alot to do with succesful growth through the scar.

Also do some reserach on ACELL and hope things work out for you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Dr Lindsey is very good at reducing and minimising scarring.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Gill, I really don't have any good pictures of the scar. I wouldn't say that it's "too wide" (based on the type of surgery) but my goal is to shave my hair pretty short so it will definitely be noticeable. I'm not convinced Umar is the right guy; the only other doctor I've considered is in Atlanta (whom I can't mention by name). Umar is definitely the frontrunner based on his videos and online reputation.

I will definitely look into ACELL.

Chris, does Lindsey have anything (videos/pics) online that I can view? I did a quick search and nothing related to scar repair caught my eye.

Bloke,

Just to clarify ...

you are looking to undergo a scar repair procedure via follicular unit extraction (FUE) into the scar itself (compared to actually revising the scar)?

If this is the case, I definitely think:

1. You should undergo a thorough evaluation before definitely deciding that you should undergo revision via FUE (as there is a chance you wouldn't be an appropriate candidate).

2. You should look into any of our recommended hair restoration physicians who specialize in follicular unit extraction (FUE). Let me know if you'd like any suggestions or help researching.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future, thank you for the feedback. On your point #1, would emailing pictures of the area to a couple of trusted physicians (Umar is one) be considered enough of a thorough evaluation in your mind? I have done this.

Point #2, what doctor would you suggest for a strip scar repair?

Thanks for the feedback.

South,

Emailing photographs is definitely a good start. In fact, some physicians may find this sufficient and move forward strictly based upon the online consultation. Please, let me know if you would like some help setting this up.

As far as an follicular unit transplantation (FUT) repair case is concerned ...

many of our recommended hair restoration physicians perform these repairs on a frequent basis and would all be a good choice. Do you have any other criteria to help narrow the options down?

Again, let me know and I'd be more than glad to help.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Blake, thanks again for the input. I guess my criteria would be to select or obtain a list of the most highly regarded physician(s) residing in the contiguous US that are specifically adept at addressing the visibility of a strip scar in order to effectively camouflage the area as much as reasonably possible with a buzzed (1 or 2 guard) hair cut.

Does this help?

• 4 weeks later...
Gill, I really don't have any good pictures of the scar. I wouldn't say that it's "too wide" (based on the type of surgery) but my goal is to shave my hair pretty short so it will definitely be noticeable. I'm not convinced Umar is the right guy; the only other doctor I've considered is in Atlanta (whom I can't mention by name). Umar is definitely the frontrunner based on his videos and online reputation.

Chris, does Lindsey have anything (videos/pics) online that I can view? I did a quick search and nothing related to scar repair caught my eye.

southeast,

There's also a good FUE surgeon in belgium that used to work for the doc that you cannot mention who is very good with both strip and FUE repair.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I suggested Dr Lindsey as he was a plastic surgeon before he was a hair restoration surgeon, so it was very good at minimising/reducing scarring.

Just do your research.

Have consultations with 5 good doctors , who you believe will get you the best results you can get.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

• 1 month later...

Hi SouthEastBloke,

I had a conversation with Dr Feriduni about scar repair recently, he says he does about 1 per week currently. I would very much recommend you consider him. He showed me some cases which had brilliant results. In terms of numbers, I very much doubt you will need anywhere near 1,000 grafts. Typical scar repairs require anywhere from 100-300 grafts, depending on the length of the scar (typically the length is the determining factor, unless you have a particularly wide scar).

Best of luck!