Maleria tablets & Hair loss?

Hi there guys, sorry I've been out of touch for so long - Brummie girl here - my computer has been in surgery for months now, but has come out of the trauma and recoved at long last, so back on-line!

Great to be back and see all that has gone one since I last posted. I'm almost 9 months since HT and although not as much coverage as I'd hoped, its better than before which I should be grateful for., just the growing game at the moment, looks a little like a ducks quiff!! I'm considering going it again, one last time and have two questions

1. Its our anniversary soon and hubby has treated me to a holiday - trouble is we should take maleria tablets and the leaflet says one of the side effects is hair loss! no way, I'd rather get maleria ! any ideas or any suggestions, were going to a complex in Dom Rep do malaria tablets really make you lose your hair?

2. 2nd HT, how long should I wait, and is there a limit to how much a surgeon can take from doner area? Originally if you can remember I had just 1000 grafts and now the sides are really patchy (thin) and I think having that little bit more on top makes it look worse, I'd like to have the sides done and a little more on top just for coverage really., but not sure if that means taking too much donar hair as the 1000 grafts took a whole strip from the back - can they do more?

I've asked you guys also on the private message forum, but wasn't sure what I was doing there or how I got there, so have posted here too - you were very helpful to me when I first had surgery and I of course would welcome your advice

xx lol Brummie girl xx

Jinny,

Welcome back! I'm glad to hear your happy so far with your hair transplant results, even though it didn't give you as much coverage as you'd have hoped for.

I'm not too familiar with the medication available for maleria - but I'd expect there's probably more than one, and maybe not all of them have the potential of causing hair loss.

Regarding a second hair transplant, there is a limited donor hair supply which is why what's available must be used wisely. How much is available varies from person to person and is largely related to your hair loss pattern, donor hair density, and the elasticity of your scalp. Be sure to discuss with your doctor how much donor is available for subsquent sessions as needed/wanted.

How many grafts can be harvested in a single session depends on, in addition to the above, the philosophy and skill of the surgeon and the experience and size of the staff. That said, there are certainly reasons to do smaller sessions. Be sure to discuss this with your surgeon and maybe even a few others to get second and third opinions on an appropriate strategy for your individual case.

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Bill

trouble is we should take maleria tablets and the leaflet says one of the side effects is hair loss! no way, I'd rather get maleria ! any ideas or any suggestions, were going to a complex in Dom Rep

HI jinny. Just curious what part of the Dominican Republic are you going to? I have been there 3 times before Santo Domingo, Bocca chica. And La Romona these places are all close to the beach and the last one was a resort right on the beach. Never took anything for malaria or heard you had to before going to the Dominican republic. Is your resort maybe in jungle part of the country? Then I can see the need for the pills maybe. I know I am going to the amazon jungle sometime with my girfriend and family to a resort in Colombia now for sure there I would need to take something for malaria.

Thanks for the advice Bill as usual, quick to respond and sound advice, I will take note and speak to the surgeon regarding donar area

Franklin, we have been to Margarita (venezuala) and didn't have to take maleria tablets as we weren't going into the Amazon, I too was surprised about the maleria tablets, were going to a resort in Bavario and its a large resort (punta Cana)right on the beach, no-where near a jungle !! - I suppose when the doc tells you that maleria is quite bad in Dom Rep, you take note of all the precautions - having had all the jabs and knowing friends that have taken the tablets and been really sick with them, I'm a bit sceptical, and certainly reading some of the side effects (such as loss of hair) !! Blimey, wish he'd done his usual now and booked for Skegness !!

Thanks all - Happy new hair (oops I mean year) ha ha icon_smile.gif

From what I've read, the hair loss from maleria pills is temporary. And that's if you'd even get hair loss with such a short duration of using the medication.

In the military, soldiers suffered from hair loss sometimes but they were on the drug(s) for a LONG time.

Nothing to really worry about IMHO. Have fun!!

In my mind there are only 2 viable hairloss treatments: Propecia and Minoxidil ( some might add Nizoral or some shampoo like this but it is marginal at best)

As far as when to get a HT, I truly believe you should stabilize you hairloss first or else you will lose additional native hair even if you do get a HT..

Those are my 2 cents

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I took malaria pills for eight months while in Afghanistan. I took the daily pill doxycycline (sp?). There was also a horse pill that could be taken weekly, but my stomach didn't really appreciate that one... so I stuck with the daily.

I didn't notice any type of increased hairloss (well, I am going bald...) And I can say that out of the 1000's of other guys I was with, no one bitched about crazy hairloss because of medication we had to take.

I will say this: Take it with food or a glass of milk until your body gets used to it, which it does in about three days. You also need to continue to take it for a month after you return to ensure you don't pass it on to someone else back home. Also use sunscreen because it ups your chances for a sunburn (great news if you have to take it in the Middle East).

But above all take it if you are supposed to. You do NOT want malaria, I saw the people who skipped their meds and got it. Life sucked for weeks for them.