Hair Transplant in New Zealand

rmf55

Kiwiguy, thanks heaps for that info, interesting about the skin institute, I agree they're out and out crooks. maybe not ashley and martin bad but pretty bad nonetheless.

I'm booked in with Dr Knudsen for late April and i think pjwb went in for his this week so i'm sure both of us will keep you posted on how we get on. if things don't work out we can't say we haven't been warned!

• 6 months later...

rmf55, any updates please, i am a Kiwi and intereted in your progress/results with Dr Knudsen. I have already booked a FUT HT with a US surgeon later in the year, but would like to see/hear how your HT went with a local surgeon. Thanks.

mumzman, I had a fantastic experience with Dr Knudsen and would seriously question the wisdom of flying to the US. I had 950 into my hairline, and another 420 into my crown. It was done over two procedures, but we continued the strip so it is only one straight line. I am now 3 months post for the hairline and the hairs are starting to grow.

Dr Knudsen is currently on the ISHRS board of governors and as I'm sure you will know is a past president, having been a member since its inception. he is warm and goal orientated, and extremely technically skilled. He even has his own private premises in newmarket now, which is much nicer than the shared space he used to have in albany.

I know there is a lot of talk on this board about how the american guys are supposedly better than anyone in australia, but I just don't see how they can possibly justify that stance. It seems to be based around the fact they contribute more often to these forums, but while that is obviously not a bad thing to do, I'm not really sure its a great criteria on which to judge someone's personal skill. Its not so much that the guys recommended on here aren't very good, but just that I suppose it is a little self-perpeutating in that people on here recommend those guys and so more members have their surgery done with them.

in any case, there are in fact a number of past patients of dr knudsen on here, many of whom I have also been in touch with and have all had great experiences. In fairness I should also note that I would be careful about using anyone other than Dr knudsen or jennifer martinick (it goes without saying you shouldn't touch the skin institute, ashley and martin etc with a bargepole), and if you weren't using either of them I would say going to the US would be a logical step.

Feel free to message me if you have any further questions.

• 2 months later...

rmf55, I'm not sure if you still read this, but if you do - you mentioned you had a good dermatologist in Auckland - would you please be able share the name of this Dr.? I'm in the treatment phase and really need to find a good dermatologist to consult with and all I'm finding through google is the hair clinics with their own branded products. Thank you!

No worries. You can get Finasteride from a GP obviously but she is very pragmatic about dosing- will give you like a years supply in one script, which GP's are too scared to do (and they often don't know about pill splitting). In case you're not on it already, Rogaine Foam is now available in NZ pharmacies too.

• 2 months later...

Hi RNZ,

Now 8 months out on the hairline and 6 months on the crown. Both are growing well. I haven't let the hairline grow out yet as the rest of my hair is very thick (due to 2 years of taking finasteride and rogaine prior to the transplant) and I want to wait until it is almost completely grown before I start. However I leave it for a couple of days at a time over the weekends and it grows quickly.

There are a couple of small areas that are lagging behind which I am primarily waiting on, and a couple of patches where the hair has come through but needs to thicken up. I also have very fine hair so my growth and thickening is probably a bit slower than some people, particularly people with thick curly hair.

Overall I'm happy, the waiting sucks but I'm getting through it now. Just have to hold on for a couple more months I'd say.

• 8 months later...

After doing research I found a doctor in India with a very good track record. For 70 rupee per follicle I got 3900 follicles transplanted. That came to New Zealand dollars (with tax etc): about $6500+travel. That was FUE as well, so no large scar at the back of my head. My only point is to say that I could have got about 800-1000 follicles done with these guys in New Zealand for that same price.

• 3 weeks later...