Hair Transplants in Under 30s questions

Hey again guys. Want to say even though I'd love to not post at this forum, for the obvious common reason we all share, I'm very grateful and happy with the overall vibe and honesty that 90% of you share, it really is like a brotherhood and I really do appreciate your insight and opinions!

That being said, I'll give a quick recap for anybody who isnt familiar -

• 21 Years old
  • Currently on Rogaine, holding off on Propecia for the time being due to possibilty of side effects and observation of Rogaines usefulness
  • Been recording video diaries every few months or when I notice something, as well as photos, for the past year or so now...
  • Mothers side of the family pretty much all have full heads of hair, her father is 80 and only has a receded hairline, something I've always seen him have (photos dating back to 60YO or so)
  • Father has MBP, but did not go down the receding hairline route, rather thinning out all over on the top, slow process starting from around age 30 to 43 and has since stabalized.. he is now 53 and hasnt changed in years, definitely suitable for HT as he still has a lot of hairs on his head, though would be classed 'bald' by public standards
  • Personally, I have noticed a receding hairline over the past 6 months or so, the hair in the corners of both sides is thinning, less hair when i pull them back, short hairs also.

Ok so, I'm going to carry on using the Rogaine all over, and hope for the best. Propecia is waiting for future years as I think I don't want to mess with my semen and risk having child birthing problems in the next decade.

But considering I had nothing to worry about 6 months ago, based on photos, there is definitely something going on and I can't judge at how fast it will happen. if my Dad and Grandpa are things to base it on though, my chances of having noticable hair loss before 30 should be unlikely at worst, but this is happening... How often does a hairline recede a little and then stay that way for a long time, without futher or much more hairloss?

And as im being sensible with recording my progress, taking meds, revising and preparing, etc, with my young age, would that make me a good candidate for a HT, should I desire one in the next, say 4 or 5 years, depending on how bad it is by then? It's managable atm, as I wear my hair downwards anyway, but I can't say how it will look in the coming years.

I wouldn't get a 2000 graft transplant on my hairline as an under 30, I know that much is stupid but how often do people have smaller sessions, to maintain and 'slow' their hairloss, with plans of having many more HTs over their lifetime.

It's just I dont want to have to hit 30-35, with a gradual loss of hair, and then say 'ok, im old enough and ive lost enough, ill have a couple HTs and ill be good again'. I'd rather treat the process many times so when I'm 50, like my dad now, I wont have gone through a huge portion of my life as a 'bald guy' and hopefully by then I wont be losing any more hair, thanks to HTs and drugs/future procedures.

Sorry, I always want these threads to have shorter OPs, I guess that is beyond me lol :D

Thanks for reading!

what do you mean by onset of growth?

If I need to then I'll start taking propecia again, my concerns are that I'm going to have side effects though, as i took it for a few weeks to test it, and i felt like i was getting watery semen, and i wasnt even up to taking it 7 days a week yet... was working my way up, though maybe i was just over worrying?

bahhh

Minox is a growth stimulator so it will help provide some growth for up to two years (roughly) and after that you need to keep on using it to maintain those hairs kept alive by minox.

Alot of people worry too much about side effects. I think alot of it is mind over matter.

I might jump back on it then and see how things go. new year so new start, and im 22 in a few months too.

I've read that many people take it bi-daily so 3/4 times a week and still get great results? whats peoples opinions on not taking it daily?

My tablets are the 1mg finpecia ones

Why not take it daily and if you get sides then look at alternative approaches such as EOD, 0.5mg daily etc

EOD is every other day, or?

well there is that option, yes but for safety's practice it just seems a better idea to take it less, and if im not getting the benefits, then start to take it more?

also the stuff will last longer then. /shrugs

Rich

What MPB has told you about the medications and how they work is totally correct. However, you CAN BE a HT candidate under 30 and not be on finasteride. It will all depend on your doctors evaluation of the miniturazation of hair you have left. If you are destined to be only a Norwood 1-3 then you would be an easy case for surgery without finasteride( probably ). However if you are destined to be a Norwood 4 plus then you do probably need to be on finasteride. Hope that helps.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

what do you mean by onset of growth?

If I need to then I'll start taking propecia again, my concerns are that I'm going to have side effects though, as i took it for a few weeks to test it, and i felt like i was getting watery semen, and i wasnt even up to taking it 7 days a week yet... was working my way up, though maybe i was just over worrying?

bahhh

When you see watery semen it's more than psychological. I had the same side effects and probably would take the drug if I could.

If Propecia truly addressed the root of the problem it would block all of the DHT and stop frontal loss 100%. I believe it is usefull, but certainly not a cure all. If Rogaine is working for you then stay with it.

Rich

What MPB has told you about the medications and how they work is totally correct. However, you CAN BE a HT candidate under 30 and not be on finasteride. It will all depend on your doctors evaluation of the miniturazation of hair you have left. If you are destined to be only a Norwood 1-3 then you would be an easy case for surgery without finasteride( probably ). However if you are destined to be a Norwood 4 plus then you do probably need to be on finasteride. Hope that helps.

And a doctor could tell if im going to be a NW 1-3 or 4 onwards for definite, even when I'm sporting a 'full head' of hair?

I haven't seen a doctor or anything yet, through stress and what not. I guess hearing 'yep youre going bald' is something i never wanted to hear

When you see watery semen it's more than psychological. I had the same side effects and probably would take the drug if I could.

If Propecia truly addressed the root of the problem it would block all of the DHT and stop frontal loss 100%. I believe it is usefull, but certainly not a cure all. If Rogaine is working for you then stay with it.

so you're saying i wasn't imagining it and it was causing a side effect?

I dont know, I guess only time will tell but people here seem to be pushing me towards propecia being the answer...

You seem to be somewhat against the drug?

I agree that Propecia does have limitations and it works better for some than others. It is the best available thing on the market to preserve your existing hair and many times your miniaturized hair that is on its way out will regain health and thickness. In some people it only works for a few years, but many have been on it for over a decade and it is still working for them. I started it almost a year ago and it definitely made my thinning native hair healthier.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

so you're saying i wasn't imagining it and it was causing a side effect?

I dont know, I guess only time will tell but people here seem to be pushing me towards propecia being the answer...

You seem to be somewhat against the drug?

I think watery semen is definitely a physical symptom. It may or may or not go away with continued use of the drug. You could psyche yourself about weakened erections or whatever so that could possibly be psychological.

I'm not against the drug at all and I agree with most of what the posters have said being that it's pretty much the most effective drug out there for MPB. The only reason I'm not taking it is because of the side effects I had. And those side effects can be very real. If you don't have side effects I see no reason not to take it.

I have minor loss and went to Dr. Hasson and asked for a prescription for finasteride. I asked him from his experience what he thought the chances of maintaining the hairline was and he said 50/50. That's 50/50 to maintain not regrow. That does not mean that it won't work effectively for other areas such as crown or mid-scalp...it probably will do much better there. Like others have said it does have limitations.