random question about pre HT native existing hair

just a random question, id like to ask people who have had a HT (s) and before they had one, they had a fair amount of native existing hair in the receipient area........and their head was shaved down for the op........my question is......how long did it take your existing native pre op hair to grow back to the level it was at before pre op.......obviously i am aware many persons (such as myself on my 3rd hair op) experience "shock loss" and at week 5 my native pre op hair is still very very poor in terms of growing back....i had 2 far smaller previous HTs where the hair wasnt shaved and had zero shock loss.... so in a nutshell are there people here who had a HT had their head shaved....and there native hair grew back fairly quickly , so that they could cover the growing area? Id like each person to give their own experience to build a picture.

I have seen on some members pages like bonkerstonker who had a lot of hair comparatively before the HT and it took 4-5 months for his native pre op hair to grow back to any semblance of where it was before.

I can tell you what Im gonna do...lots of vitamins and MSM pills..however, on average, your hair is only gonna grow a half inch a month...so basically its a waiting game!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

NHP: What vitamins do you/are you going to take? I here Biotin and MSM are good...? When I asked Dr. Rahal he was indifferent...stating that it is difficult to measure their effects because patients are also on propecia and rogaine so hard to determine whether they help or not. He said I could take them if I pleased but he really pushed rogaine/propecia.

Capelli: One important distinction to make between vitamins and fin/min is that the vitamins will help existing hairs to grow more strongly (and quickly - perhaps). They will not cause new hairs to grow.

Fin/Min will also help grow new hairs as they attack the actual cause of MPB.

In answer to the original question - I am not 2 weeks out from my first ever HT. The top of my head was shaved completely bald, the pre-HT hair there is now about 7-8mm long, about the same as the transplanted hair.

yep same here am talking 2 good vitamins a day and eating 2 whole eggs and a salad with tomatoes, onions, spinach, avocado and mushrooms every other lunchtime plus loads of fruit.

I would say the first two weeks i didnt shampoo normally, i waited to be extra carfeful till day 14, until that point it was impossible to get rid of all the danduff scum/skin accumalated from the HT which i could only see after mild shampooing when the hair was still cold. For that first two weeks nothing grew. Since than the last 24 days I have shampood hard (ie usual) every othr day and kept the scalp clean and the hair does seem to be growing i can see it but it isnt of any length, but like u say newhairloss, since we arent used to our heads being shaved who knows if this is just how quick hair grows..

All that said i did notice the hair on the back and sides of my head has grown back very quick within this 38 days its very thick and the strip scar from previous surgery is impossible to detect so its at grade 3. But that could be excused by the fact the back of the head and sides had a 2 week start as the top of my head the recipient area was covered in scabs, blood, and unable to be shampood properly for 2 weeks as well as taking more trauma

Lets see.