Hair transplant questions

Hi guys,

How are u all doing?

Im new here.

19 years old and my hair is definitely thinning,though im hiding it well at the minute and most people wouldnt know.

May i ask,

If someone is destined for a nw6,due to beginning to lose hair so early,is there any point in getting a HT before u get to the end stages of baldness?Im asking as i think if i got a HT in 5 years time then more hair would just fall out and i would be using up donor hair.

I have dark fairly curly hair if that would make much of a difference to the number of grafts id need.

Thanks

You should speak to a recommended doctor about propecia and rogaine, as that should be able to stabilize your hair loss and possibly regrow miniaturized or dormant hairs. Some patients wind up not needing a procedure after using the medication, that is why many doctors recommend using it first for at least 1 year and then reevaluating. Also at your age that would be the only course of action I would suggest as you are too young to consider transplant at this age, especially without the meds.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Also you have a finite amount of donor hair but the medication should be able to hold on to most of your hair on top of your head. That way the doctor can use your donor hair efficiently in the appropriate areas, so you won't run out if you go on to lose more hair in the future.

I am a consultant for Dr. True and Dr. Dorin. These opinions are my own.

Dr. Robert True and Dr. Robert Dorin are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Also you have a finite amount of donor hair but the medication should be able to hold on to most of your hair on top of your head. That way the doctor can use your donor hair efficiently in the appropriate areas, so you won't run out if you go on to lose more hair in the future.

Agreed..definitely look at starting the meds right away.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Thanks for ur help.

May i also ask if someone gets bad side effects from propecia and cant take it anymore,

could they still get a transplant before getting to nw6 stage?

Also,can u guys tell me how this guys results turned out so well?

He had very severe hair loss(see at 1.00) and now much better.

Are all transplaants this good?

Thanks

Hi Prevet,

Stay away from Irish clinics. They are over priced and imo, not on par with the leading surgeons recommended on this site.

Also, 1 mg Propecia is not sold in Ireland but 5mg Proscar is. Its the same drug, just need to cut into quarters. Ask your GP about it.

Hi Prevet,

Stay away from Irish clinics. They are over priced and imo, not on par with the leading surgeons recommended on this site.

Also, 1 mg Propecia is not sold in Ireland but 5mg Proscar is. Its the same drug, just need to cut into quarters. Ask your GP about it.

Thanks.

Are u irish yourself?

Can anyone tell me whether i have a good donor area if i post pics or should i just see a top transplant surgeon?

I have no intention of getting a transplant at the minute but may do so in the next 10 years.

Iv read that if u run out of donor hair u are screwed cos the transplanted hair looks unnatural when your real hair falls out.

And,you cant shave your head cos u have a massive scar on the back of your head.

So many irish men are bald,though that if i was over 35 id just shave it off anyway

A lot can change in ten years.

The industry has made considerable gains in the previous ten years, and i am sure it will in the next decade.

2 poor unsatisfactory hair transplants performed in the UK.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.

Prevet

Yes, you can get a transplant before getting to the Norwood 6 stage, however, with out preventive medication there is a good chance you may lose some of that hair, or look rather odd if you don't plan carefully with your doctor..you are too young to have a HT...especially if you think you are headed to a Norwood 6 or 7..Again, I would highly recommend getting on proscar and rogaine and then reevaluating your situation in 5 or 10 years...

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Cheers.

Im just a bit concerned that if i start propecia it will lose effectiveness after a couple of years and ill be back at stage 1.

Maybe if i let all my hair fall out naturally,hope i have a great donor supply then start propecia after a transplant.

Jason gardiner from strictly seemed to have a huge improvement and he must have been near a nw5.

I definitely wont be getting a transplant until i have lost a lot of hair and know my pattern or unless propecia stops the hair loss but that latter may be a bit risky as propecias effects wear off over time.

I appreciate all your input

Sound

Prevet

Yes, you can get a transplant before getting to the Norwood 6 stage, however, with out preventive medication there is a good chance you may lose some of that hair, or look rather odd if you don't plan carefully with your doctor..you are too young to have a HT...especially if you think you are headed to a Norwood 6 or 7..Again, I would highly recommend getting on proscar and rogaine and then reevaluating your situation in 5 or 10 years...