help/advice 19 yr old

boulala

recently i have found awesome site and has helped teach me alot, but it is still very over whelming with the amount of info etc to digest.

my hair is super thin and has been thining for about a year at a very rapid rate and receding a little too. my scalp is barley covered on the top of my head. at this rate i will pretty much bald on the top of my head in a year or so. i have male pattern baldness caused from genetics but everyone else in the family didnt begin to lose there hair till they were around 30.

i have really reached the point where i need to get into a serious fix mode and have been researching continually all the options i have.

many people say hair transplant is a stupid move for a 19yr old but from what i have read fin or propecia could be just as stupid, no sex drive, sterile, shrinkage, ED etc. at a peak age of sexual drive it seems to me it would seriously mess with hormones and natural growing and etc.

personally if i began losing my hair at 30 i wouldn't really care but just finishing high school and being almost bald is killing me. could a small FUE procedure be possible to make it less noticable and as i said i dont really need a life long fix at this point in time i would be happy with 5 - 10 years with a full head of hair and then i wouldnt mind looking like shrek.

minoxidil is also said to have a shedding stage where im sure i would look completley bald which isnt really what i want and similar side effects. while i am considering trying both these options fin and minoxidil it is scary being so young. that brings me to what minoxidil product is best oral, liquid, foam etc??

on the topic of side effects if i began these and noticed unbearable side effects could they be reversed if i stopped the medications or will it be something i am stuck with? its a pity that the only real cures for hair loss have so many terrible reviews of people saying that they couldnt have kids, couldnt get hard etc

with fin/propecia i was wandering if alcohol has any effect on it being 19 drinking/occasional drug use is something i experiment with and the strictness of this product what if i miss a day dose etc?

fin/propecia vs dua/avodart?? does avodart have less side effects and is it prescribed in australia?

the point of this is to ask opinions and advice on what is the right step for me to take, i see that many of you have a regimen. well that is what i want.

also what is msm and how does that effect hair and same with nizoral?

also heard people on this site refer to the big 3 and am unsure what exactly the big 3 are?

i no theres a lot in there but really i could go on forever, i just need some sort of straight forward path for myself to follow... research on hair loss is endless with no real answer?

thankyou

Don't be scared of the minodoxil shedding stage. For me, this has meant that instead of noticing about 10 hairs in my comb I'd notice about 15. It would last for about a week - I really don't think it makes much difference, it is just an interesting fact that it does happen.

Regarding side effects of finasteride, not everyone suffers side effects (I *guess* that about 70% suffer decreased sex drive) whilst on the drug. From what I've researched, about 2% of these people continue to suffer side effects (including the bad ones you mention) after stopping the drug (i.e. permanently). In summary, 49 out of 50 people will probably be fine, but that one unlucky person will have their life ruined.

Avodart is stronger than finasteride and hence the risks are increased.

There is no big problem if you miss a days dose. In fact, a lot of people are intentionally only taking them a few days each week to minimise the side effects.

As you are young, you should not be having a HT now. If this came on very quickly, then consider diet or stress as possible causes also.

nizoral is an anti dandruff shampoo. It makes youre scalp cleaner, which would probably help minodoxil become more effective. Nizoral itself doesn't regrow hair. I don't know what msm is.

I guess that the 'big 3' is referring to preferred hair transplant surgeons. Not sure who they would be exactly, but my top 3 would be hasson & wong, rahal and feller. There are many others on this site who are also good though - none in Australia. Be careful about the surgeons in aus.

As for a straight forward path for you, I would get onto minodoxil straight away and finasteride also (but you need to make your own mind up as to whether to take this risk). You could do blood tests to check your diet if you think that might be contributing. I prefer the minodoxil brand which is found on this site's store - Spectral UHP. It is 5% like most, but I find that it leaves less dandruff than others and doesn't feel too oily.

boulala,

Welcome! blkblk has provided you with some very good information regarding the side effects of Rogaine (minoxidil) and Propecia (finasteride).

The "Big Three" refers to Rogaine, Propecia and Nizoral combined.

MSM is Methylsulfonylmethane. Some believe that taking MSM may increase the hair's growth rate in addition to improving the overall look and quality of the hair.

A hair transplant on someone your age is typically a bad idea. Be wary of any hair restoration physician eager to get you in the chair. I know you think you won't care how you look at 30 and beyond but believe me, you will. If your hair loss has occurred that rapidly and to that extent, it's quite possible that you may never be a good candidate for hair restoration surgery.

I urge you to consult with a respected and skilled hair restoration surgeon like those recommended by this community. I understand that you are in Australia. We currently do not recommend any physicians in Australia but you can always schedule free online consultations with any of our recommended doctors.

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

thanks for the replys, i have had blood tests and i am fine fit young healthy man, stress could be one of the reasons it has increased a bit over the last few months as i have been worrying about it alot and there is so much info and strange theories like rubbing dog food in your hair to doing upside down handstands. its all so overwhelming.

pretty much i am going to start propecia and minixdile and contunie a b-complx and add biotin and hopefully a saw palmetto to the mix.

i wish i started propecia a few months ago when it was recommended but i had read so many bad things on it.

also should i start the minixdile and propecia together or do a month or two on one before starting the other to see if i can remove one if i do suffer side effects, the only reason im so worried about these side effects is well my girlfriend will be abit upset if we cant you know.

im happy to keep everyone updated on how things are gonig and ill add photos of my hairpre/post propecia and minixdile as it seems like people on this site are very interested in peoples progress.

as for my scalp i dont really suffer from dandruff and my hair at the back of my head and what is left on the top is quite healthy as i exercise regulary and have overall a pretty good diet, dont drink soft drink or eat fast food, lots of fruit vegs and nuts proteins etc.

i no my doctor will reccomend me a dose for the propecia but and maybe the minixdile but i was wandering where a good starting point would be 1mg every 2nd day or less or more and minixdile 2 times a day or once??

also more advice on which minixdile product would be helpful as there are quite a few to choose from? rogaine vs spectral UHP

Boulala

I think you have made a very wise decision in starting the meds and putting the transplant on hold for a while..as far as minoxidil most people are gonna recommend Rogaine foam,including me, because its fast drying and doesn't tend to leave your hair with a greasy feel. I would start on finasteride at the recommended dose of 1mg per day..if you start to experience side effects you can always back down from that dose..good luck and keep us informed!

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

if you are going the finasteride route, I suggest asking for the proscar tablets (5mg) and then cutting them up. These meds are expensive in Australia and from memory proscar is about half the price of propecia.

If you have any side effects you will probably know quite quickly and could back off them. I think that the really nasty side effects are from long term use (several years) and like I mentioned, they are still quite rare.

NEWHAIRPLEASE: It is interesting that you say that, because that is why I don't like rogaine. I guess each person has their own personal taste.

yeh my doctor in a previous visit has already explained proscar is and cutting them up is the cheaper alternative.

and as for the side effects, from what i have heard that they ease or you get use to them in long term use and that they usually appear in the first few months of use, hopefully i dont get them or can live through them.

i also believe rogaine is the go? should i apply one or two times a day to begin with??

current regimen (will be starting tomorow)

fin=1mg daily

rogaine=apply at night before bed ?????

b-complex tablet = one daily

biotin tablet

i dont really think i need to make a new thread in the hair transplant section so i will just ask this here..

not saying i am going to get a ht right now because i know that you will all say dont do that your too young but from what i have read..

the only real issue with hair transplant at a young age is that you will run out of supply of the hair at the back when you need more in a future ht?? is that the main thing its all i can gather from hair transplant at a young age being a bad descision ignoring the risks that a ht has for anyone any age..

and in contrary with the progression of HT's in the future it would make sense that HST, HSI and Bodyhair transplants would become more advanced meaning that supply really will become less of an issue? no i can not tell the future just a assumption on the way things might go..

again im not gonig to get one until i stick out the meds for as long as possible and put it off as suggested by everyone. i do take your advice seriously and believe you know what you are talking about but i found this a interesting topic/question?

the issue with getting a HT now is that you have no idea what your baldness pattern is going to be later. HT's are things which need to be planned long term. When you get a HT, you should be thinking about how it will fit in with your hair pattern in 10/20/30 years time. At 19 years old, you have very little idea what this will look like.

What if you got a HT now and covered the top, and then in a few years the hair around their also disappears and you don't have the skin laxity/donor hair to cover it?

I expect that you will see some good results with finasteride (once/day) and minodoxil (twice/day). When you are 25 you might want to re-think the HT, with luck, we will have some cool advancements in technology and it will be an easy fix.

i find it hard to believe that after a small fue or even fut that i wouldnt have the laxity or enough donor to go for a second transplant when some 40 yr olds go for two or 3 ht's.

and u pretty much answered the questoin with what i thought, the only real reason there is a too young is because you cant tell the future of what might happen and there is limited donor hair available. on my path i will see how the fin and minoxidile goes for a year or so but i might be one of those few that take the gamble but of course not until i way up every other option. overall the risks dont seem to out weigh the benefits in my point of view.

doc appoint monday arvo should start fin tuesday morning.

ive heard people say its recomended to take fin same time every morning which is no real problem just wanted to clarify??

and also is alcohol consumption safe while on fin??

regimen =

1mg fin daily

roagin foam twice daily

b - complex 1 daily

msm 1000mg twice daily

biotin 5000mcg 1 daily

saw palmetto 500mg twice daily

how does that sound?

cant wait to get into tuesday morning, this site has helped so much and i feel a bit more confident and happy about losing my hair as funny as it sounds.

wish me luck

• 2 weeks later...

so i started=

b-complex 1 daily

1.25 fin daily

saw palmetto 550mg 1 times daily and sometimes two times

this morning was my 5th day running..

and i found that im getting a bit of diherrea, well constantly needed to poo and really yellow urine and needing to be alot. also im fit like surf row and go to the gym and getting a beer belly type thing..

im not to worried just hoping they will pass and if not was thinking about droping the fin to a MWF schedule as some ppl have stated they do on here..

thanks