Propecia if unsure about balding?

JSmith85

Hi, are there any dangers to starting on .5mg of finesteride if you are not entirely sure that you are balding? My hair appears to be thinning, but I'm not 100% sure. My fear is that if I dont start on it, I will lose the opportunity for maintaining the best I could have. I know my hair is receding, but I'm not sure if that counts because I know propecia doesnt affect the vertex.

So is there any danger of someone not balding starting on Fin and then ending the treatment months later if you dont think your hair is changing at all?

Thanks!

The nice thing is that you live in a state rich in outstanding hair transplant surgeons. There are 9 prescreened surgeons for you to pick from, and most offer free consultations. They can do either a miniaturization test or hair bulk test and tell you if you are losing or not.

But to answer your question, there is no danger in taking Finasteride other than possibly a slight drop in libido or watery semen. I didn't have these sides and a majority of the guys don't.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

The nice thing is that you live in a state rich in outstanding hair transplant surgeons. There are 9 prescreened surgeons for you to pick from, and most offer free consultations. They can do either a miniaturization test or hair bulk test and tell you if you are losing or not.

But to answer your question, there is no danger in taking Finasteride other than possibly a slight drop in libido or watery semen. I didn't have these sides and a majority of the guys don't.

Tell this to the people who have become permanently infertile, think much more slowly, suffered severe shrinkage etc..

It is irresponsible to advertise that finasteride is completely safe when some people do suffer greatly from it. As far as I can tell, one in about 50 guys will have some form of permanent sexual problem after being on finasteride.

I have done my research and have chosen to take the gamble and go with it. Everyone who chooses to use finasteride should also be aware that they are taking this gamble.

I don't believe that there are any long term adverse affects to your hair if you start taking it and then stop. You will just lose any gains that you achieved. When you start taking propecia and/or minodoxil, you may see a bit of extra shedding (not much) in the first month, but that is not a big deal, and comes back later.

Regarding side effects, perhaps cutting down on the dosage is a good first step rather than stopping immediately - that is what I am doing (switched from 1mg to 0.5mg).

• 3 weeks later...

Without disregarding Radius' comment above, I'd say its completely natural for you to be in this position with considering taking meds, I've been so obsessed with my hair for such a long time it was like i was always waiting for the first signs of hairloss...

As I now definitely have a receding hairline, I can say from my experience to stay off any sort of treatments for the time being. document your hairline with videos and photos, pre and post showering, and believe me, you'll know when somethings happening. until then, dont bother taking any meds and youre just wasting youre money and could even be causing more damage than good.

Hope this helps :)