Finasteride - worse than thought, or anxiety attack?

blkblk

Hi,

I have my first HT scheduled in a few days time, so this could be some form of anxiety attack as I feel that having a HT locks me into a life of finasteride, so if this is all it is, please let me know..

I just found this site which appears to have quite recent information on studies around finasteride: Propecia Side Effects - Impotence, Low Libido, Erectile Dysfunction, Finasteride

To be honest, this scares the crap out of me. I know there is a risk in taking this drug, however I had quite readily dismissed it as happening to only a tiny (read: insignificant) number of people. Reading around that site has led me to feel that there is a considerable chance that anyone taking finasteride could end up with permanent sexual/reproductive/shrinkage issues.

I took this drug for a couple of years previously, and my labido was certainly lower, but everything else was fine and I didn't think much of it. I had a one year gap, and now have gotten back on it (1mg). After only a couple of months I am seeing a suprising amount of new hair and have been really happy/positive.. however after seeing this site, I am not quite sure what to do.

1) Does the fact that I was fine after my first stint imply that I will be ok now?

2) If I dropped down to 0.5mg/day (or 1mg MWF) would that decrease any side effects? Would my hair loss be much worse?

Can anyone set my mind at ease (even a little bit will do!)

thanks

Most likely you will be fine. All drugs have risk of course and you will find lots of opinions on Fin. I have been taking 1.25mg daily since last Feb. with no side effects at all. Don't get caught up in the hype. If you had no side effects before it is very unlikely you ever will. If you do, just stop or cut back. If you want to keep your native hair as long as possible, then my advice is take it and stay on it.

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUT 6/14/11 - 3048 grafts

Surgery - Dr. Ron Shapiro FUE 1/28/13 & 1/29/13 - 1513 grafts

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/orlhair1

no sides at all? I definitely have felt my sexual appetite being lowered, but when I stopped taking it, things returned to normal. That has happened again now that I'm back on it, which makes me think that maybe the other sides are waiting just around the corner.

last night I read on a different post that someone was having success dropping to 0.5mg/day, so I'll try that and see what happens.

If stem cell technology does prove to be a success in the next 10 years, I'd feel much better using that to replace missing hair than to keep all the hair and risk things downstairs